PDA

View Full Version : pumping xenia

artdesign
01-03-2006, 02:40 PM
What are the care guidelines for xenia?
Water parameters?
Proper iodine dosage? (29 gallon )
What causes the burnt look to the hands?

Rob
01-03-2006, 04:58 PM
care level is easy, these guys are usually pretty hardy.

i think the next too are tied.
overdosing iodine will cause that burned look to the polyps.

in a tank that small i would recomemnd mantaining iodine with regular water changes with a premium sythetic sea salt.

if you feel dosing a suplement is in order, get an iodine test kit, and test your levels before dosing

gwen_o_lyn
01-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Xenia can be tricky- it grew in my tank for a few months then pretty much stopped- its still there, but doesn't do much. I think over-skimmering is the reason. All my other corals do fine, so I don't worry about it. I did turn my skimmer down about 2 weeks ago and it is starting to slowly look better.

mopecula
01-04-2006, 10:56 PM
What are the care guidelines for xenia?
Water parameters?
Proper iodine dosage? (29 gallon )
What causes the burnt look to the hands?

Hello,
I'd have to agree with Rob and Gwen. I also have come to learn that soft corals like xenia actually like nitrates for some reason. Iodine should be tested before adding so you don't overdose.

ghostbear29
01-29-2006, 10:59 PM
I agree also, nitrates and phos levels to certain degrees. I have used a sea lab tablet in my nano and it only allows levels to remain at a constant. when I used those, they really started pumping. also, usually a day after a water change got the same effect. The only thing is now its a pain and I constantly have to trim to keep it in check. Luckily, a couple of heads of pom pom can get me some Coral CP food and thats worth it alone.

ERL
03-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Where can I get these?

Rob
03-06-2006, 01:16 AM
Where can I get these?
get what the Xenias?

AdamJ
03-06-2006, 01:38 AM
he mean the sea lab tablets if i understand correctly?

ERL
03-06-2006, 12:12 PM
the tablets.
A certain brand?
Do you have a link?

Jimm
03-06-2006, 05:35 PM
I Googled it and got this.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4166&N=2004+112993

I have no experience with this product. So I can't vouch for it.

mdavis203
03-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Now this stuff sounds like the cat's meow as far as keeping trace elements in check. Sounds too good to be true. Any input on this, guys?

gwen_o_lyn
03-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Unless it's a well known brand- it's not going in my tank!! Never heard of that one.

If it sounds too good to be true............

kj_yoda
03-08-2006, 10:27 PM
if it sounds too good to be ture, it usually is. And that definately sounds too good to be true. Has anyone used this stuff?

Reefbaby
03-12-2006, 05:37 PM
I use TropicMarin Iodine Supplement - but very sparingly and occassionaly.

My Xenia have been pretty unproblematic. They pump away and are now my official new weed in the tank. They have spread everywhere and always search out the highest rockwork. As long as no powerhead is blowing directly at them and the current on them isn't too great, they seem to be pretty happy.

jeepjon
03-28-2006, 06:52 PM
For some reason, my xenia are now doing moderate...can't get them to grow. They seem finicky in my tanks. This has how it has ALWAYS been for me. I can keep tridacnids, SPS, LPS, and soft corals...but no xenia....arrrggghh..I love xenia, too!
-Jon

kj_yoda
03-28-2006, 10:19 PM
There was a time that I had xenia all over my tank, then it decided to shrink I get it from time to time. Last week, I found my Jewel Urchin (supposedly reef safe) on top of one of my xenia frags going to town... eating like crazy! I had to pry it off before it ate the whole frag.

Since then, I haven't had a problem, but I think that it is only a matter of time before he eats it again. I will probably move him to my 15 gallon nano.

gwen_o_lyn
03-28-2006, 11:02 PM
For some reason, my xenia are now doing moderate...can't get them to grow. They seem finicky in my tanks. This has how it has ALWAYS been for me. I can keep tridacnids, SPS, LPS, and soft corals...but no xenia....arrrggghh..I love xenia, too!
-Jon

eh, don't let it bother you. If you keep your tank skimmed well, they won't grow and neither will the hair algae :mrgreen: I know if my xenia is starting to come back then I better crank up the skimmer!

kj_yoda
03-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks Gwen, never thought that Xenia wouldn't grow if a tank is skimmed well.

Reefbaby
03-29-2006, 10:26 AM
hey kevin - do you have a lot of flow on your xenia? I feel that I keep my tank skimmed as well and still have had success with them. It could be that I just have more nutrients in my tank than Gwen, even though we both have well-skimmed tanks.

Issues could be too much iodine - although Xenia seems to be one of the corals that need iodine, too much could be a bad thing.

Xenia like flow and it my experience, the like lots of flow, but not necessarily a powerhead blowing directly at them...then again, that's my experience...

Another issue - lighting. What sort of lighting do you have? I've got 250W 14K + T5 actinics. I've read that xenia like strong lighting, which makes sense since they're photosynthetic. So, maybe this could actually be a difference between some people's success or not.

Just my 2¢s

Rob
03-29-2006, 12:07 PM
the iodine comment is correct, then do need iodine, but that is easily overdosed so be carefull. overdoesing will fry the xenia.

about they light, they will thrive in many lighting conditions. while they are photosynthetic, so are most of the corals we keep, but just rememebr that alone doesnt define there lighting needs. i have been able to keep them under PC and under MH, they seem to do equally well in both..

kj_yoda
03-29-2006, 12:28 PM
My xenia have always had a lot of flow. SOmetimes too much, which I corrected.