PDA

View Full Version : Roll out the green carpet...anemone that is

fishcounter
06-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Well, if there is one anemone I love, its the green carpet. I am seriously considdering getting one and an Ocellaris clown. However, I am a little concerned about their agression. I have been trying to find some sources on how to care for one, but I was hoping to get some real world experience on this one.

Have you ever had a carpet anemone and if so, how did it do in your tank? How often did you feed? How agressive and moble was it? Did spot feeding it regularly lower its agression? Or was it just a happy go lucky anemone? How did it respond to your lighting? (If I get one, I am using 2x250 MH for lights).

In a year I am going to get a manderin fish and I am hoping that the anemone wont scoop him up for dinner. What you do you guys think?

wwest
06-27-2006, 02:10 PM
A friend of mine has a green carpet and his has always been peacfull. it moved around alot till it found the place it is in right now. been there for about 7 months. the lighting affected it a great deal. he had 50/50 lights on it forever (about 4 years) and it was normaly around 11 inches. well now with power compacts its averaging 17 inches. it has opened alot with the new lights.. as for its moods its always been happy go lucky and the feedings are everyday and fed by his clarkii no specail feeding or anything.. as for the manderin not sure, he has a grouper, sailtfin, snow flake eel, and the clarkii all in a 120 gallon tank. everything is pretty good size and havnt had a bit of problem out of anything ( other than the eel nose diving into the glass and rocks lol )

gwen_o_lyn
06-27-2006, 05:05 PM
I know a guy that has two- I posted pics somewhere on this board, but his 2 green carpets ended up eating most his fish. He had these fish for quite some time and once the anemone was big enuff it was eating everything. They are aggressive.

I think the mandarin would eventually be dinner. Just a matter of time.

wildeone
06-27-2006, 11:49 PM
I guess I didn't realize they were that aggressive. I was considering one someday, however I just wasn't sure if my BTA and a GCA would be goo tankmates. Once my clowns started hosting the BTA, I stopped desiring the GCA.

fat walrus
06-28-2006, 12:18 AM
I know a guy that has two- I posted pics somewhere on this board, but his 2 green carpets ended up eating most his fish. He had these fish for quite some time and once the anemone was big enuff it was eating everything. They are aggressive.

I think the mandarin would eventually be dinner. Just a matter of time.
a little shoppe of horrors. :|

wwest
06-28-2006, 11:59 AM
i just talked to another friend that has a carpet and he lost 5 fish so far. said he has had his for about 3 years now. after reading up on them i wouldnt get one lol :)

fat walrus
06-28-2006, 04:17 PM
don't forget, they can the size of a man-hole cover.

fishcounter
06-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I think I am going to change my mind on this one.:agree: Thanks for confirming the agression side of them. Walrus, i did read that they can get up to almost two feet! I can't imagine having a manhole cover in my aquarium thats pissed off at everything and really hungry. Well, back to the research drawing board. Who knows, maybe I will find some lovely info to justify buying a carpet. If not, there are plenty of beautiful anemone to choose from. I just want to get a good companion for my ocellaris clown.

kj_yoda
06-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Don't change your mind on this one, Gwen is just trying to scare you. I have a green carpet, tube anemone and BTA in my tank and if anyone has eaten fish, it is my BTA. My green carpet hasn't moved since I moved him the day I got him.

They can eat fish, but fish will do their best to stay away...including my mandarin.

fat walrus
06-28-2006, 09:17 PM
my carpet walks all over the place and ate my BTA that doesn't move. i agree that most fish stay away from a carpet........but there are some horror stories.

kj_yoda
06-28-2006, 10:25 PM
there will always be stories on both sides of the aisle...

fishcounter
06-28-2006, 10:48 PM
why does this hobby have to be so difficult???!!!!!;) Nothing is an absolute and you will never know anything for a surety until you tank the gamble it seems. LOL. At least with stocking a tank that is. I always fall in love with something and the cons usually a as strong as the pros. Ask my wife, my "wish list" has changed so much that when people tell me what I am going to put in my tank, now I just say "animals".

wwest
06-28-2006, 11:10 PM
difficult this hobby is, not easy things we love. :)

i felt like yoda for a breaf moment there lol

dreams
06-30-2006, 09:56 PM
my LFS store has a gorgeous green carpet...about 2 feet across....unfortunately, it has to be kept w/ huge fish....it eats everything else......the only smaller fish it hasn't eaten is the maroon that hosts it

CarmieJo
07-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Perfect for the bottom of your 800 gallon tank with a large lion fish, panther grouper, etc, etc...

NM354
07-07-2006, 02:16 PM
With any anemone you are always risking losing your fish. You must realize that with all these things we keep all they care about is eating, reproducing, and killing. They can, and sometimes will, eat your fish if they get the chance. You also have to remember that they can be very dangerous in competing with space. They can go to war with your corals especially when they decide they want to move around the tank.