PDA

View Full Version : What does everyones name mean?

wwest
06-26-2006, 10:41 PM
i was just wondering what does everyones nick on talking reef means and why they picked it?

wwest is what the back of my turn out coat says for the FD, also that is how i sign everything. it stands for wesley west.

CarmieJo
06-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Well mine is just my nickname Carmie and my middle name Jo all ran together. I had it first as my Skype name because Carmie wasn't available.

fat walrus
06-26-2006, 11:10 PM
well, if you must know.........fat walrus is a cypher from the bible code. quatrain 13-6-6-6.

hehe, no it is just me making fun of my fantastic godlike body. lol.

V
06-26-2006, 11:10 PM
ive gone the cloak & dagger approach & used my real name

gwen_o_lyn
06-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Several years ago I was trying to come up with a yahoo ID, and that was available. Plus I like the sound of gwendolyn without the "d" but u can call me gwen or q or qwen or people on the phone call me glenn sometimes- I answer to almost everything :)

dreams
06-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Imagine
John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

But I'm not the only one
And the world will live as one

fat walrus
06-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Imagine
John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

But I'm not the only one
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

But I'm not the only one
And the world will live as one
john lennon will live forever in my dreams......
he was assassinated a day before my winterball dance and EVERY song played that night at the dance had john lennon in it. what memories........

fat walrus
06-26-2006, 11:23 PM
wwest, did you say you are a firefighter?

dreams
06-26-2006, 11:28 PM
john lennon will live forever in my dreams......
he was assassinated a day before my winterball dance and EVERY song played that night at the dance had john lennon in it. what memories........

{{{{{john}}}}}

V
06-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Several years ago I was trying to come up with a yahoo ID, and that was available. Plus I like the sound of gwendolyn without the "d" but u can call me gwen or q or qwen or people on the phone call me glenn sometimes- I answer to almost everything :)

your Q from 007
or princess Q from nano cluster
or a strange & exotic fruit!
or if your mad, "yes BOSS"

CarmieJo
06-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Wesley,

Are you in southern OH?

fat walrus
06-26-2006, 11:57 PM
ive gone the cloak & dagger approach & used my real name
WWHHAATT??????? i've been spending hours trying to decypher the name. i was ALMOST there...you should see my list of combinations, abbreviations, and conjugations! nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo.......................... .............

dreams
06-27-2006, 12:17 AM
WWHHAATT??????? i've been spending hours trying to decypher the name. i was ALMOST there...you should see my list of combinations, abbreviations, and conjugations! nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo.......................... .............

LOL!....

veriann, is your name pronounces the way it is spelled?....does it mean anything special?

fat walrus
06-27-2006, 12:24 AM

LOL!....

veriann, is your name pronounces the way it is spelled?....does it mean anything special?
hehe.....this was where i first encountered the wrath of bushboy.
#1, do not ever misspell his name by ending it with an "e".
#2, it is as he sternly told me, it is pronounced: Veri-N.
#3, it means he who reveres walruses.
#4, if he sees this post, i'm not here. hehe

V
06-27-2006, 03:05 AM
hehe.....this was where i first encountered the wrath of bushboy.
#1, do not ever misspell his name by ending it with an "e".
#2, it is as he sternly told me, it is pronounced: Veri-N.
#3, if he sees this post, i'm not here. hehe

LOL, many cycles ago blubber, and a few deleted posts latter!

um, yes, its russian for yoyo, or was it yogi, i cant remember!
:roll:

blubbers got it right, veri-n temps as it rolls off the tongue as u say it!

bob21115
06-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Mines a play on my wifes nickname "bob". At here last job they have 4 or 5 Kathy's or Katherines. One day someone got confused about which Katherine they were talking about, so she said I don't care what you call me you can call me bob for all I care.

I needed to setup a hot mail account one day and she had using bob0408 (her nickname and my birthday), so I put bob21115(her nickname, 2 for the second bob, and 1115 for her birthday) its kind of stuck ever since.

Amphibious
06-27-2006, 07:59 AM
When we bought our FL property 4 years ago, I came out here in the evening, parked the car and after a moment or two of silence the resident tree frogs began their chorus of evening song. It began with just a few and built to an astounding crescendo. I told my wife, we'd never get any sleep. We moved into our new home nine months ago and I was wrong.

We discovered we have at least 4 species of tree frog and two different aquatic species of frog. Six different frog songs, sometimes all singing in harmony (or dis-harmony) and we fall to sleep enjoying Mother Nature's concert. Sometimes, when I'm on the cell phone I walk out on the patio and tell the person I'm talking with to listen. I hold the phone out toward the sound and they ask, what's that? I tell them and they ask, how can you sleep? But, it has a calming effect. We sleep soundly knowing that any burgler - WILL GET THE FICKLE STICKY TONGUE OF OUR RESIDENT KILLER FROGS! http://www.theculturedreef.com/120104~1.GIF

So, Amphibious, at home on land and sea, it is. Here is a picture of one them on our house....

http://www.theculturedreef.com/TreeFrog-1.jpg

Cute!!!

Dick

m8298
06-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Mine is one I ave been using for my email address for about eight years now. My first born child is Madalyn (M), born on August 2, 1998. My wife does the same thing with my second daughter, Jessica, born on June 9, 2001. My third daughter Liza's initial and birth date are I guess on reserve. After that I'll either need a new naming convention, or I'll have to adopt, cause I just got "snipped."

Wendy, I am a Lennon fan as well. I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. I really love watch them roll.

A friend once told me that there are two kinds of people in this world: Elvis people and Lennon people. I've got just one reply: WHO'S ELVIS???

Veriann, I gotta say, I'm a little shocked. You and Rob seem to be the only bears in Yellowstone that used your own names. What can I say, way to go Boo-Boo.

wwest
06-27-2006, 09:37 AM
yea im a volunteer/wildland. ill soon be a paid firefighter just trying to figure out where and if thats what i want. wildland for sure. ill be out west every year for about 3 months fighting fire. thats fun :-)

carmie, yes i am from south eastern ohio. :-) how do you like north carolina?

Rob
06-27-2006, 10:00 AM
hmm.. its a secret code name i use when im operating undercover doing these highly confidential audio transmissions... or wait.. maybe its just my name.. ;)

NaClFinatic
06-27-2006, 11:26 AM
NaCl would of course be salt. But everyone might not catch the mispelling of Fanatic. I'm a fan of things with fins. I bet everyone else is too.

fishcounter
06-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, I am an accountant. Oh, and I like fish a lot.

wildeone
06-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Well, my last name is Wilde, so I just go by Wldeone pronounced: (whttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/imacr.gifld- whttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ubreve.gifn).

Bernie
06-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Mine comes from my miata community nickname. I was at the shop getting some parts and the owner was calling me Frank, well his wife thought my name was Chris and she finally got the point of who she was talking about by saying "You know, the guy that looks like that dude from 'Weekend at Bernie's" and the name just kinda stuck...

Much better than what 'Deliverance Mike' got saddled with :eek:

V
06-27-2006, 07:49 PM
hmm.. its a secret code name i use when im operating undercover doing these highly confidential audio transmissions... or wait.. maybe its just my name.. ;)

see the thing is, & i found this cause im a smart cookie, & i like looking into other smart cookies >>which rob certainly is!!
but slowly but surely he's slipping in some subliminal suggestions through the podcast we tune into as Talking Reef Junkies, leading up to the time when rob releases his own reef products..........we wont know why, but everyone will be buying them without question:p

when ur a millionare u have to relocate down to australia for while! come & have fun on a daily basis with me & make another million im my sand pit!

CarmieJo
06-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Wesley,

We like NC. We have been here 20 years and probably won't be moving back. It was tough being this far away though when my dad was sick and then trying to help my mom deal with all the things after his death. My mom & most of my hubby's family still live in NE Ohio.

My college (OSU) roomie lives in Oak Hill near Jackson. Pretty country.

wwest
06-27-2006, 08:01 PM
yea thats about all it is around here is pretty :) no i like it here theres just not that much to do (Unless you like atv's or hiking) and employment around here is bad. my girlfriend and i are thinking about moving to charleston or flourence not sure what will happen in the next few years lol

CarmieJo
06-27-2006, 08:12 PM
No paid (you will notice I did NOT say professional) fire fighter jobs? Around here many of our volunteer departments are having to pay daytime staff because the volunteers are working out of the immediate area and can't run calls.

DJGonzo69
06-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Well- I've had this since High School when I would DJ parties. Then Gonzo is a shortend name for my last name Gonzalez & 69 was the year I was born= DJGonzo69 :w000t:

wwest
06-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Carmie, that stinks look like ill be going up northeast or out south lol

sailfin
06-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Well,

I feel I lack originality but I chose sailfin because well , I just love mine! Isn't she precious:)

wwest
06-27-2006, 09:10 PM
sailfin, have you ever had a problem with yours running into rocks? or scraping her face on the rocks? my friends, i think hits the rocks more than not. ill try and get a picture tomorrow but we starting calling her scareface lol

CarmieJo
06-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Ann,

Your sailfin is just gorgeous!

fat walrus
06-27-2006, 09:25 PM
sailfin, you could not have picked a more beautiful fish to use as you name.

wwest, my hats off to you as a firefighter. it takes extreme courage and dedication to walk into a situation that everyone else is running from. since 9/11, my admiration of a firefighter has increased ten-fold. never forget the 895 brave men and woman of FDNY that anwered the call and many gave their lives in the line of duty that infamous day.

wwest
06-27-2006, 09:37 PM
thanks walrus, it means alot to hear someone say that when usually we get yelled at for not showing up sooner or not having all the answers all the time. i cant wait till im a paid firefighter for the money but it will always be the same reason, to save lives. we have fatal car wrecks seems like everytime i turn around and car wrecks where some people are injured and some are ok, we have been a department since 1953 and we are proud to say we havnt lost anyone in a fire. i have been on the department for about 5 years now and i wouldnt trade it for anything.. thanks FW

also i have a poster on my wall to remind me of 9/11 picture of the towers before with a ghost shadow of them burning overlayed. at the bottom it says.
Total Deaths 2,752
Total Injured 2,261
Firefighter Deaths 343
Police Deaths 75
American Airlines Flight 11
WTC North Tower 92
United Airlines Flight 175
WTC South Tower 65

UMpg
06-27-2006, 09:46 PM
mine isn't as witty as all the names veriann put together for me, its just UM=University of Miami (where i got my BS in marine biology and am currently working at while pursuing a masters- go Canes!) and PG for my initials.

johnnyblackheart
06-27-2006, 11:10 PM
:twisted:JohnnyBlackHeart:twisted:

<o></o>Well back in the early days before the internet as we know it, back in the days of BBS’s and TRS-80’s from RadioShack. I needed a “handle” while playing the game Pimpwars (don’t ask). So my buddy said “you are so black hearted” and my first name is John and the rest is history.

fat walrus
06-27-2006, 11:19 PM
:twisted:JohnnyBlackHeart:twisted:

<o></o>Well back in the early days before the internet as we know it, back in the days of BBS’s and TRS-80’s from RadioShack. I needed a “handle” while playing the game Pimpwars (don’t ask). So my buddy said “you are so black hearted” and my first name is John and the rest is history.
what of your sudden change in avatar?

johnnyblackheart
06-27-2006, 11:29 PM
I get bored so I like to switch them around once in a while.

Scott
06-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, I was in luck and got to use my name since it wasn't taken yet. I like the simplicity of it. :) Otherwise, I would have to use what I normally do on other boards....which I haven't visited in many months.

Victoria
06-28-2006, 11:19 AM
I use my own name, because I feel silly if I was to call my self something other.
Victoria
PS WWest I was a FF for 7years. Keep it up its a great place to be!!
Yes girls can be one too.

wwest
06-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Victoria, we have two girls on the department right now. and they kick butt. :) male or female a firefighter is a firefighter.

kj_yoda
06-28-2006, 09:05 PM
When I first got on the internet (my first yahoo or hotmail email account), I tried many things and just got suck with KJ (my initials) and YODA b/c I am a bit of a star wars geek.

NM354
06-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Mine has to do with my Fraternity, NuMu chapter and 354th initiate.

CarmieJo
06-29-2006, 08:44 PM
NM354,

:welcome: to TR

PSH
06-30-2006, 12:54 AM
PSH stands for Ponderosa Snake House which I go by on reptile boards. Just didn't sound right on reef boards so now I am PSH.

Thadius
06-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Thadius was the nick given to me by my cousin in Canada about 13 years ago, when he gave me my first modem and sent me back to Australia saying 'I hope you guys have computers there 'eh'

:D

fat walrus
06-30-2006, 02:01 AM
Thadius was the nick given to me by my cousin in Canada about 13 years ago, when he gave me my first modem and sent me back to Australia saying 'I hope you guys have computers there 'eh'

:D
your cousin hasn't met one of TR's linkmasters: veriann.:cool:

Thadius
06-30-2006, 04:36 AM
hehe :D
I was young when he gave me that nick, now he gets 'owned' both physically and virtually by the little kid he named years ago :D

V
06-30-2006, 05:13 AM
good to have u aboard anyways Thadius, havn't seen u for abit! hope we see more of you if u get the time

stang5_o2002
07-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Mine is actually kinda dumb, but i use it for everything. Back in 2002 I was trying to figure out a Yahoo name. I drive a Mustang 5.0, and it was 2002, so I just kinda ran it together for a quick use id. Now its the only one i use for everthing.

ghostbear29
07-01-2006, 04:31 PM
yea im a volunteer/wildland. ill soon be a paid firefighter just trying to figure out where and if thats what i want. wildland for sure. ill be out west every year for about 3 months fighting fire. thats fun :-)

carmie, yes i am from south eastern ohio. :-) how do you like north carolina?

yeah, i was a paramedic firefighter for 11 years. but since moved on. I was a squad boss for the local wildland and rode a "bus" (ambulance) for 5 years. I originally was crash rescue....looong time ago.

oh yeah, my handle....a mystical indian creature.

wwest
07-01-2006, 05:59 PM
thats cool i would love to be squad boss. but there's not much training around here so i take it when i get it. but hopefully after next year things will change :-)

CarmieJo
07-05-2006, 11:59 PM
I ran EMS for many years both at OSU and here in NC. Plus I dispatched for 7 years here in NC. I miss both :( but life and circumstances took me in other directions.

wwest
07-06-2006, 12:03 AM
i have actually thought about dispatching. i use to climb the 911 towers here for the wireless company i worked for and i became good friends with the guy that handles the dispatching, but im not so sure i would like the swing shifts..

CarmieJo
07-07-2006, 07:46 PM
We worked a modified DuPont schedule. You did swing but that 7 day break every 28 days was great! Plus I could sometimes run paid EMS (volunteer squad with paid daytimers) when I was off on weekdays.

Zapped
07-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Zapped comes from an Automatic Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (AICD) I had implanted in 2002. the little bugger monitors my heart rythem and if it notices an adnormal rythym it wil give me a treatment that consist of zapping my heart with a bolt of lightning in an attempt to correct the rythym and keep me beating for yet another episode. PITB but does keep you living, actually i have my own littl ER in my chest monitoring me 24 hours a day and eady to work. Guess that makes me lucky.

V
07-07-2006, 11:18 PM
nurse get me 50cc stat!. do u stand in the sun to recharge it!:roll:

Amphibious
07-08-2006, 04:21 AM
PITB???Can you feel the jolt when it happens?

Zapped
07-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Luckly, i have yet be be converted (shocked) I have told that when I start to feel odd (hmmm!) I should sit down, pull over, quite flying the plane (just kidding) because the jolt will feel like a horse kicking you in the chest and most times sits you down, so why not be there already. I paces me when it gets low also (below 40 bpm) and will speed it up a bit, that feels strange but dosn't hurt. Anayway "Zapped" just seemed appropriate.

tks...mark

Zapped
07-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Oh, you don't recharge it, you get to have another operation to replace it. How about that for leading edge technology!!!

fat walrus
07-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Oh, you don't recharge it, you get to have another operation to replace it. How about that for leading edge technology!!!
if you don't mind my curiosity, how long is battery life?

m8298
07-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Probably depends on whether or not you're married... You know, maybe 25 years if you're single, 2.5 years if you're married. lol

Can you feel it inside you?

Zapped
07-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Nope, no problem at all. I'm not really sure what "average" means but my Medtronic AICD has an average life of 3 - 5 years. I have the device interrogated every 3 months, by a technician at the Doc's office, they establish a connection with the AICD via electromagnetic coupling and download data, do a few test and make changes if needed. I received mine in 2002 and if all stays the same I'm good until next year.

LOL John, I am happily married and love my kids more than anything, however I didn't have heart problems until my girls started driving, and then got the AICD when they started dating!! haha (just kidding, I'm sure it was just a coincidence)lol. I can not feel it unless I bump up against something, which is unusual, it is implanted in my upper left chest, just under the skin. The whole thing is a little smaller than a pack of cigarettes. Not a problem at all.

later...mark

bob21115
07-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Probably depends on whether or not you're married... You know, maybe 25 years if you're single, 2.5 years if you're married. lol

Can you feel it inside you?

John I know your not talking about your wife.

Zapped, I was listing to NRP the other day and they were talking about a spinal stimulator that was like a pacemaker, but the batteries were rechargable. You placed some kind of device against the skin and it recharged the battery.

m8298
07-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Nah, my wife doesn't take the life outta my battery... She just turned my hair grey, and I have three daughters just like her, they'll make it fall out.... rofl

I make jokes, but my wife is awesome.

bob21115
07-09-2006, 01:20 PM
BTW You can still have mine if you want her.... :lol:

m8298
07-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Yeah, and you'd missing her before I got back on 96.

Preacher Reef Keeper
09-27-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm a preacher of the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ first, Reef Keeper second. It's a wonderful life because of how, not only are we wonderfully and fearfully made, but God made all these wonderful things for us to appreciate and enjoy!!!! Every time I look at my reef I think of Him and how he has blessed me with life and not only that but life abundantly!!!!!
The great thing is that not only do I enjoy it but my Wife and two year old daughter love it too!!!! We spend hours sometimes in the evening just looking at the tank; "Look, did you see that?", "Look, Look over here!!!"
It is Wonderful!!!!

lReef lKeeper
09-27-2007, 12:46 PM
hmmm, i bet no one can guess what my name is !! i just added the lower case L's to it so it would be available everywhere. but is just pronounced "reef keeper". not very original, but it works for everything.

JeffDubya
09-27-2007, 02:14 PM
In grade school, I was always the third or fourth "Jeff" in my classes, so soon we all became "Jeff + First initial of last name"

So I became Jeff W, which over time evolved to Jeff Dubya. Nope, it's nothing political. I don't know it for a fact, but I believe I was Dubya before Dubya was Dubya. Maybe. Who knows.

SoCalReefer
09-27-2007, 05:36 PM
one clue... it's cryptic

CarmieJo
09-27-2007, 08:50 PM
:welcome: Preacher. I bet your tank can give you plenty of sermon material. One of my fond memories of working in a LFS back in the 80's was this little fella in the store with his dad. He was asking questions left and right.
"Dad, what's that fish?"
"It's a clownfish."
"Where does he live?"
"In the ocean."
"I like how he looks Dad."
"I like his looks too."
"Why is he orange and white?"
"Because God made him that way."
"Why did God make him that way?"
"Because He wanted to."
"How did God make him that way?"
"He made him orange and then painted white stripes on him."
"Oh."
:)

clownfish4me
09-28-2007, 02:23 AM
ummm, I'll give you three guesses, :o the first two don't count!:D

Braves11
09-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Mine is nothing complex.
I'm a baseball fan.
My favorite team is the Braves.
Last year my own team won our leauge championship, I was #11.

Oh yeah, I heard that at where Rob works his name is actually spelled in caps: ROB.
Just like all the other false names they invent for their employees.

Phurst
09-29-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm another on the unoriginal bandwagon :) Phurst. P = Pearson (first name) hurst = Hurst (last name). Lots of people think it's Ph = f, or "first". I'll take that too I guess.

Pescaiolo
09-30-2007, 06:17 PM
I am from Naples, Italy. I was born and raised most of my life there. Pescaiolo(pez-kai-o-lo, thats for Rob hehe :p) means fisherman's apprentice or a young fisherman in Neapolitan, the dialect of Italian in Naples. I have always like the sea and when I was a young boy I would bother all the fisherman when my mother and father took me down to the waterfront. I always liked fish and fishing and pretty much anything that has to do with the water. :)

salt-rookie
09-30-2007, 06:38 PM
In November of 2002, I switched to saltwater after doing freshwater since 1963. There was so much to learn! I was referred to a local fish board and since I was a rookie...I assumed the name Salt-Rookie! I had NO clue that I would always remain a rookie! There is JUST so much to learn and discover! I will ALWAYS remain a Salt-Rookie!!

Phurst
09-30-2007, 08:59 PM
I am from Naples, Italy. I was born and raised most of my life there. Pescaiolo(pez-kai-o-lo, thats for Rob hehe :p) means fisherman's apprentice or a young fisherman in Neapolitan, the dialect of Italian in Naples. I have always like the sea and when I was a young boy I would bother all the fisherman when my mother and father took me down to the waterfront. I always liked fish and fishing and pretty much anything that has to do with the water. :)

I had been wondering, actualy.

CarmieJo
09-30-2007, 10:39 PM

I was close, I had interpreted it as little fish. Your old avatar gave away your Italian heritage. :) My husband is 2nd generation American and his family is from Carovilli, Isernia. But this all American mutt speaks/reads more Italian than he does.

Pescaiolo
09-30-2007, 10:42 PM
I was close, I had interpreted it as little fish. Your old avatar gave away your Italian heritage. :) My husband is 2nd generation American and his family is from Carovilli, Isernia. But this all American mutt speaks/reads more Italian than he does.

You speak Italian and he doesn't? How does that work? :p

CarmieJo
09-30-2007, 10:51 PM
His uncle started teaching me right after we got married 25 years ago. I already spoke passable Spanish (thanks to 4 years in HS and a couple in college), had several school friends whose families spoke Italian at home and had picked up a little while spending time with them and had learned a little Portuguese in college so you just had to keep the languages straight. :) We moved to NC a couple of years after we got married so there went my tutor and I can mostly only read Italian now. But, I think if you gave me a couple weeks where I had to use it, it would come back.

RockDoc
10-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Mine is actually my nickname; I am a Doc and also play in a couple bands (Little Feat and Shocking Edison), therefore the name "RockDoc." My avatar is actually the graphic from our last Shocking Edison CD, entitled "Scientific Curiosity." (****warning - shameless plug follows*****) So if you're interested, check us out at shockingedison.com, and buy a couple hundred CD's for your friends!
Thanks, Jay

Phurst
10-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Mine is actually my nickname; I am a Doc and also play in a couple bands (Little Feat and Shocking Edison)

Of Dixie Chicken fame? I LOVE Little Feat, seen you guys a bunch of times...

Pescaiolo
10-01-2007, 04:57 PM
His uncle started teaching me right after we got married 25 years ago. I already spoke passable Spanish (thanks to 4 years in HS and a couple in college), had several school friends whose families spoke Italian at home and had picked up a little while spending time with them and had learned a little Portuguese in college so you just had to keep the languages straight. :) We moved to NC a couple of years after we got married so there went my tutor and I can mostly only read Italian now. But, I think if you gave me a couple weeks where I had to use it, it would come back.

That is awesome! Most people I meet here in the US don't even want to pretend to try another language! Looks like you learned not 1 or 2 but 3 different languages! I find Portuguese very weird sounding, like drunk Spanish hehe. I want to learn French, no real reason why, well maybe to be able to understand what all the French people in Italy say. :P Ho tanta felicita' che ho trovato una persona intelligente che gli piace impare lingue estraniere! Spero che un giorno viaggi in Europa e vedi le bellezze nostre. :)

CarmieJo
10-01-2007, 08:45 PM
That is awesome! Most people I meet here in the US don't even want to pretend to try another language! Looks like you learned not 1 or 2 but 3 different languages! I find Portuguese very weird sounding, like drunk Spanish hehe. I want to learn French, no real reason why, well maybe to be able to understand what all the French people in Italy say. :P Ho tanta felicita' che ho trovato una persona intelligente che gli piace impare lingue estraniere! Spero che un giorno viaggi in Europa e vedi le bellezze nostre. :)

Grazie per le parole gentile. I am always inspired by our European exchange students who often speak several languages well. A couple of years ago we had a Finnish girl who, I think, was fluent in 3 languages and conversant in a couple of more. The guidance counselor at her American high school was shocked that not only did she want to continue to study Spanish and French she also wanted to take Japanese. I think that our American schools do a terrible job teaching languages. Everyone was so impressed that our son took 4 years of Spanish in high school and then made exchange. In our global society I think that should be the minimum! Of course I think it would all be so much easier if we learned in grammar school too.

A couple of years ago I got a buddy invite for one of the chat programs. The person's signature was not a name but a phrase that looked like really bad Spanish and was all about love. About the time I clicked block this person I realized that it was one of the Brazilian kids and it wasn't Spanish but Portuguese! LOL!

V
10-02-2007, 06:43 AM
The guidance counselor at her American high school was shocked that not only did she want to continue to study Spanish and French she also wanted to take Japanese. I think that our American schools do a terrible job teaching languages.

Thats cause they try to encourage*cough*brainwash you folk into thinking that the world revolves around america dont they. woops...http://www.alexander-oberg.de/smileys/outtahere.giflol
Thats ok carmie, i understand, over here they treat me like everything revolves around me, rather than the country, so i kinda understand:p
My name means "Fire King" in cartoon speak

CarmieJo
10-02-2007, 10:47 AM
V, you are right. As a society we often feel that the world revolves around the good ole USA. I am very patriotic but I also know that I am a citizen of the world too.

You know, it is not that the schools here do a bad job teaching, the students who take a language receive fine instruction. The problem is iactually that we put no importance on learning another language. Most schools act like 2 years is enough but in 2 years of classroom study you barely learn to communicate.

wakbrdfr
10-02-2007, 10:56 AM
If anyone cares to know, mine means: wakeboard freak! I love to wakeboard. So wakbrd= wakeboard and fr= freak. It is both put into one and broken down.

rroselavy
10-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Mine is a concatenation of Marcel Duchamp's alter-ego "Rrose S&#233;lavy", (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rrose_S&#233;lavy) which was a play on the words "Eros, C'est la vie". Duchamp was an amateur chess player, which is why I chose the name sake for my foray into online chess. Now I use the name for almost all my logins.

My avatar icon is a photo of one of Duchamp's works entitled, "Why not sneeze, Rrose S&#233;lavy" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_Not_Sneeze_Rrose_S&#233;lavy&#37;3F), which (unlike an Aquarium) holds little water.

-S

RockDoc
10-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Of Dixie Chicken fame? I LOVE Little Feat, seen you guys a bunch of times...

let me know the next time the band is in your area, I'll set you up with some passes.

Phurst
10-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Cool!
Saw you guys and The Doobie Brothers back in July at The Innsbrook Pavilion here in Richmond.

V
10-06-2007, 11:55 AM
V, you are right. As a society we often feel that the world revolves around the good ole USA. I am very patriotic but I also know that I am a citizen of the world too.

You know, it is not that the schools here do a bad job teaching, the students who take a language receive fine instruction. The problem is iactually that we put no importance on learning another language. Most schools act like 2 years is enough but in 2 years of classroom study you barely learn to communicate.

True, however as english goes, most countries around the world learn it, & it rates up there with the japs in the multi context sector. Dont worry about being overly patriotic, so are we, only differnece is we can laugh & make fun of our country, you guys do not!
Languages are important, whether it be english, sand monkey or something like old latern. I do belive english will be the global language, however i would never like to see other languages stamped out because of changing times. Culture no matter where your from is important, & it would be in our best interest as nations to bring to light the inclusions of other languages as a matter of course, if only to instill the better half of apprechation of other cultures in this world of contempt we now live in. Having said that, only sex & beer are the true global languages...lol