PDA

View Full Version : Algae eater recommendation

Bernie
06-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a small fish to round out the stock in my 20 gallon nano. What I would like is something that eats algae to help keep the stray hairs down. It has to be comfortable in a 20 gallon tank, reef friendly, and be able to get along with a six line wrasse and green clown goby... and the various crabs, shrimps, and snails...

Thanks,
B :D

Rob
06-25-2006, 07:12 PM
maybe a lawnmower blenny?
will have to make sure it get feed properly, but should fit in nicely

fat walrus
06-26-2006, 12:01 AM
maybe a lawnmower blenny?
will have to make sure it get feed properly, but should fit in nicely
lawnmowers might get too big or agressive in 20gal. just my 1.5 cents.

V
06-26-2006, 07:51 AM
mexican turbo's. cortez & blue leg .emerald crab, dwalf rose pink urchin.

as for use in a nano comes with dirrect experience or simular! I dont own a nano so i cant speak from experience

fishcounter
06-26-2006, 12:00 PM
I am with verian on this one. Turbos are awesome. I love mine. They are vacumes when it comes to eating algae.

gwen_o_lyn
06-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Frank-

Talk to Kevin at http://ngareef.com/ for cleanup critter stuff.

You can look at getting a bi-color blenny which will eat the algae off the glass/rocks and leave little kiss marks.

Raggamuffin
06-27-2006, 10:24 PM
My algae went poof within a couple days of getting a baby coral beauty....but he is going to outgrow the 24g before too long....which was the arguement which won me the right to buy a 75g because my girlfriend will NEVER let her coral beauty go, sneaky yes, underhanded yes, dirty trick sure, but it worked!

V
06-27-2006, 11:29 PM
My algae went poof within a couple days of getting a baby coral beauty....but he is going to outgrow the 24g before too long....which was the arguement which won me the right to buy a 75g because my girlfriend will NEVER let her coral beauty go, sneaky yes, underhanded yes, dirty trick sure, but it worked!

yeah we've thrown our partners into the same boat with us on many occasions here. there does come a time when they stop rowing with u, & start hitting u with it, cause the tank & the tv are the 2 biggest things in the room! & yet u still haven't fixed the dropped tile in the bathroom or fixed the washing line that fails to spin! verbal bullets come flying with the gental reminder that u started with a goldfish bowl & how much water these days is enough!

to which u promply put down the remote & grab that trash can before the assult turns ugly...lol

wwest
06-27-2006, 11:30 PM
i had the same idea with my clown a anemone. you know it gets bigger and the tank needs to get bigger. she fell in love with the two and all of a sudden my anemone split into two smaller anemones. it was cool but kinda set me back a year or two lol my plan back fired lol

Veriann, you are hilarious. that matches my house to the T, except the dropped tile is the leaking sink in the bathroom and the washing line is not helping her train the dog to track lol you hit it right on the head :)

Bernie
06-28-2006, 09:02 PM
I went with a bi-color. He is in the tank and has already found a nice little cave in some zoas that fits him perfectly... Hopefully he'll get to work soon enough :agree:

gwen_o_lyn
07-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Where's the pics!?!??! :)