PDA

View Full Version : Temperature swings

fishcounter
06-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Well, my next question is about keeping temperature constant. My tank is 3-4 degrees warmer during the day witht he lights on which can be expected due to the heat from the lights. Is that big of a swing normal or should I be concerned?

V
06-25-2006, 09:43 AM
what methods are u implimenting to vent the heat away from the tank. this would need to answered first, i cant remember the spec of your tank if u posted it before sorry.

wildeone
06-25-2006, 02:16 PM
I cannot tell you what is normal, but my temp is runing between 78.7 an 80:2 over the past 2 weeks. I am using a temp controller though.

dreams
06-25-2006, 02:35 PM
i went to walmart and got one of those clip on personal fans...it was $7......the fan blows across the top of the tank.....i leave the heaters on....my temp never varies from 80

i should add....everything is on timers....so, when the lights go on, the fan goes on

gwen_o_lyn
06-25-2006, 10:31 PM
i went to walmart and got one of those clip on personal fans...it was $7......the fan blows across the top of the tank.....i leave the heaters on....my temp never varies from 80

i should add....everything is on timers....so, when the lights go on, the fan goes on

ditto for me as well! Exact setup :)

V
06-25-2006, 11:39 PM
has anyone added cooling towers into the sump zones, u can have a fan blowing across the towers before the water returns

fishcounter
06-26-2006, 10:40 AM
I have a fan blowing across the top of my tank. Its hitting my halides. I put my heater on a timer now which is helping. Its of during the day and then it kicks on at night when the halides go off. So my tank shifts from 77 degrees at night to 80.4 degrees during the hottest part of the day. I may need to add another small fan in the canopy???

Just a tip for every one, don't stick your finger in those fans:agree: I accidentally got my finger caught in it and lost a good chunk of skin. :) Its amazing that even though its just a little plastic thing, it really packs a punch.

gwen_o_lyn
06-26-2006, 12:45 PM
I've done that before with one of those small battery operated fans before they started making the blades out of foam- ouch it hurts!!

Rob
06-26-2006, 02:44 PM
I have a fan blowing across the top of my tank. Its hitting my halides. I put my heater on a timer now which is helping. Its of during the day and then it kicks on at night when the halides go off.

why this way?
the heat is being generated from the lights, which means that its being generated during the day when the MHs are on. you should be able to close that temp swing by running the fans while the MH's are on.

wwest
06-26-2006, 02:56 PM
my pc's put off alot of heat, so during the day i have a fan hitting the top of my water. and my heater isnt even plugged in during the summer. but my temp doesnt move. 80-82. also with the fans i am working on a gallon of evap everyday lol :-)

Rob
06-26-2006, 02:58 PM
my pc's put off alot of heat, so during the day i have a fan hitting the top of my water. and my heater isnt even plugged in during the summer. but my temp doesnt move. 80-82. also with the fans i am working on a gallon of evap everyday lol :-)
yes, using fans to cool the water works by increasing water evaporation. this is what cools the tank, just like evaporating sweat cools your body.
so using a fan will increase your evaporation rate

dreams
06-26-2006, 03:03 PM
have a fan blowing across the top of my tank. Its hitting my halides. I put my heater on a timer now which is helping. Its of during the day and then it kicks on at night when the halides go off. So my tank shifts from 77 degrees at night to 80.4 degrees during the hottest part of the day. I may need to add another small fan in the canopy???

i would raise the temp on the heater.....that would level out your heat....kick it up to 80....and i would leave it on all day...

i leave my heaters on all the time....if iturn off the heaters, the temp drops like a rock when the fan is going

fat walrus
06-26-2006, 07:12 PM
why this way?
the heat is being generated from the lights, which means that its being generated during the day when the MHs are on. you should be able to close that temp swing by running the fans while the MH's are on.
great point Rob, but i think fishcounter said his heater is the thing on a timer, and it the heater is only allowed to kick on at night. a better heater or a good controller is the way to go. :)

Rob
06-27-2006, 10:49 AM
great point Rob, but i think fishcounter said his heater is the thing on a timer, and it the heater is only allowed to kick on at night. a better heater or a good controller is the way to go. :)
ah.. ok, i miss read that, i read that he had the fan on a timer..

yes, sound like the heater is not sufficient to keep up. or turn the fan of at night time

fishcounter
06-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Things are getting under control now. Yep, at night the heater kicks on along with the lunar lights, and the refugim light. Then during the day they switch off and the halides and fan start up.