PDA

View Full Version : Calc Reactor

labman
12-31-2005, 02:08 AM
Ok I am thinking I need one naturly I need onethat works great easy to use doesn't cost allot lol I don't want cheap or a unit I will regret buying this is for a 130 gallon tank..

Bishop
12-31-2005, 06:34 AM
Have you thought about making one?

There are a lot of plans out there and unlike a lot of other equipment, they are reasonably simple devices that many have had success building themselves.

Rob
12-31-2005, 01:21 PM
well since i know "labman" i will jump in here a bit
first off, you are not at a stage where you need a reactor.. yet...
your calcium needs are still low where you can keep them in control with water changes and minor dosing.

but as your needs grow you are goign to be in the same position as me..

i am currently dosing kalk in my top off water (which coul be your next step as needed) but this is getting to the point were it wont be enough.

i am gurrently researching a DIY nelson (kalk) reactor or a DIY calcium reactor.

i havent come to a desicion yet so we'll see soon...

Rob
12-31-2005, 01:25 PM
another importan thing to tank into account is cost.. of course.
a kalc reactor is by far cheaper and the media that is used in it is veery cheap as well.
a calcium reactor is more expesice to guild, as you haev to buy a CO2 tanks and regulator. and the media used in it is more expesive also. and you have to replace the CO2 on a regular basis, not often but once or twice a year.

so a Ca reactor is more expesive to build and operate but will handle a higher calcium load than a nelsen reactor, but the nelson reactor is much cheaper to construct and operate...

Mhhhhh... decisions.... lol

labman
01-01-2006, 05:53 PM
I decideded to hold off on the Calc Reactor and try to do it on my own at least 1st not that big of a deal really. after reading some of the post and thinking about it, I am better off to learn how to get my Calc and Alk and stuff on my own before adding a device I don't fully understand. think I am trying to do to do to much to fast I am going to cause a big crash. besides doing some research
I think there are going to be some big improvments in near future the one thing this hobby is supposed to teach is patence so back to school for me and no cheating on my test!