PDA

View Full Version : Round Table Show 2 - Podcast Episode 58

Rob
06-22-2006, 09:24 PM
For this Round Table show, I join Gwen (who hijacked the show) and Kevin. Listen in as we discuss items such as tank additives, DIY projects, synthetic salts, and more.
You will also get your first glimpse of the next big contest.

This show sponsored by:
CoralDynamics

<A href="http://feeds.feedburner.com/Talkingreef">http://www.talkingreef.com/podcasts/podcast-feed.gif

http://www.talkingreef.com/podcasts/podcastIcon.gif (http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://podcast.talkingreef.com/audio/RoundTable-2-TR-Ep58.mp3) Or click here to download the individual episode
And Please consider taking the listener survey
http://www.talkingreef.com/podcasts/podtrac_survey_microbar.gif (http://www.podtrac.com/audience/start-survey.aspx?ver=1&pid=-XLkuU37Aw8$)

Rob
06-22-2006, 11:09 PM
The file has been corrected and is now available for download.

If you got the episode from a podcast client lik iTunes, and its incomplete, you may need to delete the file and re-download it.

if you need help wiht this please post is here (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)

V
06-22-2006, 11:21 PM
The file has been corrected and is now available for download.

If you got the episode from a podcast client lik iTunes, and its incomplete, you may need to delete the file and re-download it.

if you need help wiht this please post is here (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)

easyer said that done hitting the mouse and return key, sheesh rob, starting to slip my friend- next thing u know we will have to start picking our shows up via fedex!:p

Rob
06-23-2006, 12:24 AM
lol.. yeah.. its a known issue, and i was just in a hurry and forgot about it...
i had to re-do the audio mixdown and encoding...

oh well, maybe you should get a fed ex account.. :D
i will record them to tapes and fed ex them out.. :)

V
06-23-2006, 03:00 AM
because im not getting much of the vid feed before corruption sets in, i might just have to do that!

vanmo92
06-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Its prenounced pro-di (i with the i sound not e sound)-bi (i with e sound)o.

vanmo92
06-23-2006, 05:44 PM
I will be on a show if you want. I would be happy to do it.

Rob
06-23-2006, 06:50 PM
from Robsreef (http://www.robsreef.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=98)

Pro-dee-beeo

At least, that's how they say it when I call France!

this is what i was going off of

Scott
06-24-2006, 09:19 AM
lol.. yeah.. its a known issue, and i was just in a hurry and forgot about it...
i had to re-do the audio mixdown and encoding...

oh well, maybe you should get a fed ex account.. :D
i will record them to tapes and fed ex them out.. :)

You could always setup a streaming server. FreeBSD + Shoutcast = on demand streaming of mp3 files...as long as you have the time to listen while you are on the Internet. Plus you can feed a live stream over it too...that's what I'm doing for our college's radio station. (Rob, if this is of interest...I could stream for a few people, I've got around 256k upload on my cable service. I've got stuff setup on my home server for testing and playing around purposes)

Scott
06-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Great show....Gwen did a great job. :D

I've just switched over to the Seachem Reefsalt, got a free bag at SWU...and I used up all my IO. But I will have to go back to IO, since that's all the LFS carries...unless I order online.

I'm also just starting to try the Purpleup as well, free bottle at SWU. So far I've only dosed twice, half a cap full....with about 1 1/2 weeks between dosing. I want my coraline algae to take off.....I actually do see some growth, but that could be due to the tank getting a little more mature.

Going to try another DIY project...the fuge section of my sump/fuge is running out of space for my macro algae after I finished moving the sand bed to a DSB. So, I'm thinking of getting a 10gal and drilling it, putting it on the top of the fuge stand and having that for the 95% of my macro algae and let it gravity feed back down to the sump/fuge...will use a small pump to get the water up there. When I actually start this, I'll get a thread going....and remember to take pics.

Once again...great job Rob, Gwen, and Kevin! Love the round table's. :agree:

wildeone
06-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Good show...makes me want to get the Kalkwasser going!

V
06-24-2006, 10:33 AM
hey hey, finally got of my ass to listen to the show this week!
good work guys. if this was a heigh jump bar its be taller than me! :)
Q, oh my god ! Q u rock on this one, hijack is an understatment> you've kicked the pilot out of the cockpit so u can grab the stick! lol
glad those chill pills i sent u kicked in high gear! fantastic my girl!

ki & rob, u guys kick it as always!

just an international tip, the rest of the world is not on the same metric system as u guys! expand on the metrics if its possible

Rob
06-24-2006, 02:21 PM
just an international tip, the rest of the world is not on the same metric system as u guys! expand on the metrics if its possible

good point, i sometimes forget this... thanks

Scott,
doing streaming is idea i have thought of, but neither my distribution server or main web server have enough throughput to maintain a constant stream

Scott
06-24-2006, 05:11 PM

Metric system....isn't that something they taught back in high school or something, sort of like algebra...doesn't really get used? :mrgreen: Let's see...I guess if I find a conversion table I could use both Gal and L. Which is it.....you can or can't teach an old dog new tricks? Boy...if it was only as simple as driving on the wrong side of the road.... :D

Rob, I'm guessing you are looking at streaming for the masses....or is it the what is already there is already really close to maxing. Like I mentioned, I could probably do a few people (maybe for some on dialup and just can't get an uncorrupted download of the show).....obviously I have nowheres close to the bandwidth required to stream to the masses, and I doubt my ISP would be too happy if I tried. At work for the college radio station, it's a fairly small stream...we allow around 20 connections at a "dialup" speed and around 10-15 for the "broadband" speed. After all, the station is way up in north western Minnesota. LOL

Rob
06-24-2006, 05:53 PM
yes, for the masses.
what i have now gets maxed out for about 3 days after a new episode is released, and during that time it would be near impossible to stream anything. Streaming also introduces other issues.
this issue was with the source file, so even if i was streaming, it would have been bad...
i had to redo the file from the source project.

V
06-24-2006, 06:10 PM
to us(most of the world) its u guys going off on your own path with the metric system. scott u should have studied harder in school cause soon enough u guys will switch to the conventional speak....lol a country that big with so many ties to the world, u would belive by now the world would have switched to your 1930's system!:rolleyes: sasauge to inform u other wise!

Scott
06-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Veriann...yeah it's an old system LOL. yup, looking back I should have studied more....glad I just have to look back and say that. But, that's what we have calculators and computers for....doing the conversion for us. LOL (I'm bad....NOW ALL YOU KIDS OUT THERE READING THIS....STUDY THIS STUFF IN SCHOOL) Do as I say and not as I do. LOL

I do agree with you though, we should be more verse with the metric system. After all, most of the world speaks english for business type stuff. Least we could do is learn metric, since everyone else didn't adopt our system. :)

Rob
06-24-2006, 06:40 PM
the weird thing is the metric system makes sense..
everything is in units of 10.
the US system is stupid as all heck. nothing relates to anything

most Americans couldn't convert cups to quarts to gallons if they were paid to.
the metric system makes this brainless, just add/remove the appropriate amount of 0's

Scott
06-24-2006, 06:55 PM

I agree with you there. Sometimes I wish I was using the metric system for that! Especially when measuring distance....1/2 inch, 1/16, 3/8....boy cm and mm sound so much better! :)

CarmieJo
06-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Hook your American family up with an exchange student and you will learn to do English-Metric conversions in your head. :)

gwen_o_lyn
06-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Q, oh my god ! Q u rock on this one, hijack is an understatment> you've kicked the pilot out of the cockpit so u can grab the stick! lol
glad those chill pills i sent u kicked in high gear! fantastic my girl!

:D Thanks guys! I just had to block out the fact that this was being recorded and it went a little better- maybe being in control and knowing that I can't let Rob talk all over me had something to do with it :mrgreen:

V
06-24-2006, 08:06 PM
these lips were made for talken, & thats just what they will do, one of these days these lips will walk on out from u![
great job anyways Q

gwen_o_lyn
06-24-2006, 08:09 PM
he he :mrgreen:
-Q

Scott
06-24-2006, 09:05 PM
LOL!!! that is great!

the real servo
08-23-2006, 11:53 PM
Just listened to the PC and would love to see a picture of Gwens little coral carrying cooler.:agree:

BrianPlankis
08-24-2006, 12:33 AM

I know it would never happen, but it would be nice to see the US go metric. Once you learn it, the metric system is SOOO much easier.

Brian

Rob
08-24-2006, 01:13 AM
totally agree.. maybe we should just start doing everything in metric.. ;)
we'll start a trend.. :D

kj_yoda
08-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Guess, if we switch everything to metric, it may make drivers drive slower b/c they will feel they are driving too fast...

Only problem with the switch is that we are too big headed about it all.

BrianPlankis
08-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Guess, if we switch everything to metric, it may make drivers drive slower b/c they will feel they are driving too fast...

Only problem with the switch is that we are too big headed about it all.

Big headed is a big part of it, but there are some real financial disincentives to switching to metric. One simple example is pipe fittings, think of just how much PVC and metal piping is used in industry in this country, all english system. To switch over to metric would be cost prohibitive for existing industry and then you have to get a supply chain going for any new industry projects. Not exactly an easy thing to do and that is just one example.

Some school districts in the US teach almost exclusively in metric and then when the kids come out of school they have to use the English system in the working world.

Brian

kj_yoda
08-24-2006, 10:25 AM
I understand the financial disincentives. The state of Delaware (yes, it is a state), built a highway from Northern Delaware to the Delaware Beaches. They started putting everything in Km including the speed limit. THis didn't last too long, once the finally completed the entire road, they had changed everything back to MPH.

CarmieJo
08-24-2006, 08:13 PM
All of our exchange students home countries use metric. Between my science background and converting stuff on the fly for them I don't even think about it anymore. That being said, metric sure is easier!