PDA

View Full Version : Is it even worth it?...

ShaneO'Mac
06-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Hey everyone,

I am facing quite a dilemma right now. I just got back from college orientation yesterday, and while I was there I realized something about my major, and my future with saltwater aquariums.

I am soon to start studying alot for my major in Pre-Pharmacy at UNCG *University of North Carolina @ Greensboro*, and UNCG does not offer any pre-pharm classes...therefor at the end of 2 years (which will allow me to at least get started in Pre-Pharm) I will have to transfer to another college, most likely, Campbell University. My question is...seeing how I'm only going to be living here for 2 more years, and then moving in my uncle who lives a good 100 or so miles away...is it even worth starting to collect the equipment needed, and/or start the tank? Or should I wait?

Thanks,
Shane :(

wwest
06-21-2006, 01:55 PM
my opinion is start buying now so when you can set a tank up you will have everything. however 2 plus years is awhile to wait lol thats a hard question to answer lol

Rob
06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
i agree, start getting stuff
and setup a smaller tank.. moving a 55 gallon tank or so isn't impossible.. its some work, but as long as you are only moving once you should be ok...

fat walrus
06-21-2006, 03:10 PM
staart collecting the equipment at least. if you have to move the tank, it just takes some planning. i had a friend move five tanks from california to kansas 2 years ago and pulled it off without losing a fish.

Rob
06-21-2006, 03:16 PM
yep, planning is the key to a successful tank move.
they are very possible..

but yes, as walrus indicates, if nothign else, start getting equipment.. :)

ShaneO'Mac
06-21-2006, 03:51 PM
I realize that only purchasing the equipment would probably be the best way to go, considering that I'd be a guest within my uncles house, I don't want to clutter any space with an aquarium.

Thanks,
Shane

Rob
06-21-2006, 03:55 PM
well, id say weigh you options...
if you "want" to its definitely a feasible.

and we will be here to support your efforts whether you start now, or in 2 years

fat walrus
06-21-2006, 03:56 PM
ask your uncle, maybe he'll enjoy the tank and become a convert himself.

pham411
06-21-2006, 08:13 PM
in my opinion. i wouldnt set 1 up, maybe start buying equipment becase when i was in college i moved around so much. wether it was a new place, new internship were i had to move, changing dorms. ahh it was just a head ache. i would wait till your stable. then again, 2 years is a long time and its possible to get a good tank setup. are you going to be dorming in that 2 yrs

V
06-21-2006, 08:23 PM
with travel comes headaches, reef tanks are a logistical nightmare to move, just the shear time invoved is stagering. believe me, ive done it many of times, & and in the process of striping back to bare basics now for yet another move in the future!

u love the hobbie, just buy a good quality all in one nano that u can tinker with, cause the way of the student is going to be too taxing for anything else.keeping in mind that a nano requires alot of work too! but at least its smaller & manageable! u can purchase any extra equiptment along the way at your own pace this way! in between keeping up with the tank, the beer & the girls, ur going to busy:D

ShaneO'Mac
06-21-2006, 10:20 PM
I wont be living in a dorm, just with my uncle when the time comes to transfer. I may consider the nano idea, but I'm not sure. I may just keep on with the freshwater that I have right now until I transfer. I'll definatly start collecting the equipment that I'll need, but I will not be able to make it priority all...unforunantly...
Thank you all for all of your help!

Shane,

V
06-21-2006, 10:27 PM
cool muppet, just let us know how u go

ShaneO'Mac
06-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Will do!

Shane,

fat walrus
06-22-2006, 12:36 AM
will trade old equipment for red hair.

ShaneO'Mac
06-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Lmao, nice. Real nice =P

fat walrus
06-22-2006, 01:01 AM
put some shades over those bulgee eyes, and i'll throw in a sump.:eek: =:cool: :cool:

V
06-22-2006, 02:29 AM
oh its a freaky muppet! its very cool to look at, makes me want to laugh evertime i see it! great Avat!

ShaneO'Mac
06-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Haha, thanks!
It has the same effect on me, I suppose thats why I chose it.

Shane,

Amphibious
06-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Shane

I'm taking the other side of this issue. Buying equipment for an event that may or may not take place in two years is waisted time and money. If it were me, I'd decide on a modest size nano, say 20 gallons, learn as much as I could with that and see where you are in 2 years. You are going to have your hands full in school with classes, studying, reports, homework, beer, girls, etc. :rotfl:

Dick

ShaneO'Mac
06-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Mmm, yeah.

I suppose that it would indeed be sort of a waste seeing how equipment in this, like any other hobbie, can and will become outdated before too long. Right now, and nano would seem like my best bet. I may just have my parents hold on to my 75 gallon until I'm ready for it anyway.
I will definatly be very busy with classes, and such...doubt that with the beer and the girls (already taken). =P

Shane,

Amphibious
06-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Well, you got the idea I was trying to point out.

Let me give you one current example. Metal Halides are believed to be the logical choice in growing many of the SPS corals we love to keep but also including softies, zoos clams, etc. Sure you can go T5s, PCs and VHOs but MHs are what most people want. That's about to change.

PFO Lighting a major manufacturer of Aquarium lighting just introduced LED lighting for the reef aquarium. Here's PFO's add coming out in the trade mags.

http://www.theculturedreef.com/SolarisAdSmall.jpg

If you are interested in keeping up with the latest technology, you can read about them on TR at -
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850

It pays to stay informed. Think about it, if you bought MHs now for two years down the road you'd very possibly want these Solaris fixtures because they are predicting the LED fixture will replace MHs. Hard to believe right now but, I've seen them and I believe it!

I placed the first order with PFO at IMAC. Delivery is scheduled for July 31st. I can hardly wait.

Dick

gwen_o_lyn
06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
I agree with Dick *what, what?!?!? did I say that?!!?* :D

I was thinking the same thing as I read through the thread. With how fast things are changing in the hobby, and all the learning going on, you never know what new products will be available. There may be some totally new way to skim your tank. And the lighting is a perfect example of change ;)

fat walrus
06-22-2006, 09:57 PM
great points from the wise Amphibious and clever gwen. but, by collecting equipment ahead of time allows you to reseach and take advantage of deals or good used equipment. for many of us, if we have a dollar, we'll spend a dollar....so two years later, you still have nothing. in college, i were able to collect a lot of very good equipment by searching adds very carefully. if i did not spend it on my future tank, i would have spent it on girls or beer. look at skippyeef's thread, i believe he said it look him 18 months to collect his equipment, and NONE of it is anything outdated or inferior.

Amphibious
06-23-2006, 08:48 AM
gwen_o_lyn,

"I agree with Dick *what, what?!?!? did I say that?!!?*" :DYes, Gwen, you did! It was just a whisper but, I heard you and I want everybody to witness this historic moment in TR time. Someone once said, LOVE can transcend all things. So, instead of this :madmad: going on between us or, something silly like this :silly: resulting in this action :slap: causing one of us to look like this :crazy: you and I can accept our differences as normal sibling rivalry to be nurtured, cherished, sprinkled with love so that when we finally, actually meet one another we can rush up to each other, warmly embrace and you can ask, "What the H*@& were you thinking of when you wrote that jibberish?" And to think it all started when Gwen posted this sign :love: when I was experiencing a bad time. For those of you that haven't done it yet, put your cursor over the sign and see what happens. Love you too, Gwen.

When we actually meet, Gwen, you can expect to get the biggest, longest, warmest, huggiest embrace you've ever had. Better be prepared for it.

Dick

V
06-23-2006, 08:59 AM
great points from the wise Amphibious and clever gwen. .

hey dont forget poor old me! i thought out loud:blush: in here as well.

fat walrus
06-23-2006, 06:58 PM
hey dont forget poor old me! i thought out loud:blush: in here as well.
sorry veriann. i ran out of adjectives within my limited vocabulary.:mrgreen:

V
06-23-2006, 07:07 PM
sure, ar ha!
i;ll remember that when im feed teasing u with a stinky fish!:eek:

CarmieJo
06-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Shane,

I moved a 20 & 29 FO tank from OH to NC with no problems.

And the good news is, if you are at Campbell you would only be about 45 min or so away from my favorite lfs, Down Under Saltwater & Corals in Garner.

fat walrus
06-23-2006, 11:54 PM
Shane,

I moved a 20 & 29 FO tank from OH to NC with no problems.

And the good news is, if you are at Campbell you would only be about 45 min or so away from my favorite lfs, Down Under Saltwater & Corals in Garner.
what?? carmie is not original southern belle?

ShaneO'Mac
06-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions! You see...I'll be living with my uncle. So I very much doubt that he'll let me lug around a 75 gallon aquarium into his house. Other wise, I wouldn't be as depressed about it as I am now. I was so psyched to start getting ready for it.
The way I see it...either I go with a nano while I'm there, or I just wait.

Shane,

fat walrus
06-24-2006, 12:58 AM
will trade nano for red hair.

V
06-24-2006, 12:01 PM
if u need some help with nano topics, a few here are up with whats current

CarmieJo
06-24-2006, 06:58 PM
what?? carmie is not original southern belle?

Nope, Ohio born & bred!

V
06-24-2006, 07:41 PM
what is a southern belle anyways?

fat walrus
06-24-2006, 07:55 PM
old name for well bred ladies from southern states. famous for perfect manners, well dressed and so forth.......

V
06-24-2006, 08:10 PM
k, thanks for the up to speed talk

gwen_o_lyn
06-24-2006, 08:27 PM
gwen_o_lyn,

Yes, Gwen, you did! It was just a whisper but, I heard you and I want everybody to witness this historic moment in TR time. Someone once said, LOVE can transcend all things. So, instead of this :madmad: going on between us or, something silly like this :silly: resulting in this action :slap: causing one of us to look like this :crazy: you and I can accept our differences as normal sibling rivalry to be nurtured, cherished, sprinkled with love so that when we finally, actually meet one another we can rush up to each other, warmly embrace and you can ask, "What the H*@& were you thinking of when you wrote that jibberish?" And to think it all started when Gwen posted this sign :love: when I was experiencing a bad time. For those of you that haven't done it yet, put your cursor over the sign and see what happens. Love you too, Gwen.

When we actually meet, Gwen, you can expect to get the biggest, longest, warmest, huggiest embrace you've ever had. Better be prepared for it.

Dick

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Dick!!! You're the best!! Thanks for the big smile you just put on my face!! Anytime I am feeling sad, I can just read this post and everything will feel much better! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

CarmieJo
06-24-2006, 11:38 PM
old name for well bred ladies from southern states. famous for perfect manners, well dressed and so forth.......

There you go, definitely not me!

fat walrus
06-25-2006, 12:25 AM
There you go, definitely not me!
highly unlikely my lady. a true belle you will forever be.

V
06-25-2006, 06:53 AM
awww, ur a steal coated marshmellow blubber, or a blubber coated marshmellow, ether way!

CarmieJo
06-25-2006, 04:22 PM
awwww, you guys are so nice.