PDA

View Full Version : Algae on glass...How often do you see it?

wildeone
06-08-2006, 08:14 PM
I have to clean my inside glass at least 2-3 times a week with a magfloat. Is that what everyone else is dealing with as well?

I have about 20 snails and 20 hermits (I know Gwen I need to triple that), and the snails get the glass, but the miss a bunch usually. I am just curious if the amount I am getting is what everyone else has.

BTW, my water parameters in the last three weeks could not be better. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, PO4 .25.

Rob
06-08-2006, 08:30 PM
i usually clean mine weekly, but its not that bad when i do it.
i have let it go longer it it did start to get a bit cloudy.

Raggamuffin
06-08-2006, 09:12 PM
I only do the front pane 2 or 3 times a week, the sides only lightly right before a water change, and the back I leave alone (getting nice coralline there!). the only reason I do the front so often is because I sit there all the time! :D

CarmieJo
06-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I have a corner tank and I do my curved glass every couple of days and my side panels once a week or so.

ZeroKoolNYC
06-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Well I have a brownish looking rust color build up within my tank. My water parameters are normal. Any idea? It looks like rust when I scrap it off. Should I be worried?

fat walrus
06-09-2006, 01:30 AM
wow, that's a loaded question. i don't thing any one of my tanks are the at the same pace of requirement. my 12cube seems like it needs to to wiped down once a day and my largest tank seems like i can go about 2 weeks. and it is no just size, my 240 needs more attention than my 150.

V
06-09-2006, 01:48 AM
"how longs a piece of string i hear u ask?"
my peice of string is 10ft long! :p this subject in question is subject to what we are subjectivly running ,todays subjects include lighting, filtration, feed cycles to but name a few!
. but when mines dirty enough to bother me, i clean it. i have a spunge/scubber pole that i use for the sides & back, makes it easer to clean instead of trying to get behind with a hand held magnet. i would like a remote control magnet though, have some races like slot cars, u crash & burn when u hit some LR or make ur own path though the sludge! hehe

Mclendonmdw
06-09-2006, 08:49 AM
My algae has slowed down considerably since I removed my bio balls from the wet dry. I was cleaning my glass every other day the algae on the glass was relentless. Now since removing the bio balls, and giving my system a few weeks to stabilize, I only clean the glass weekly. In fact I cleaned my glass on Monday and it is still crystal clear on Friday.

If you are running a reef tank with adequate live rock than I think the wet-dry filter is just plain the wrong filtration method. I have three thanks in my house two are mine and one is my roommates. We both have 55g tanks that have been set up for a few years. We had essentially the same set up 55g tank, Wet-Dry, skimmer, 150lb live rock, and high flow with in the tanks, and I also run carbon socks in my tank. I removed the bio balls from my 55 about a month and a half ago. It’s now “clear” that something is different with our systems. He is still battling algae and his nitrates are still measurable. My system is the best it has ever looked.