PDA

View Full Version : My stocking list

bmwaaron
06-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Hello, I just wanted someones opinion on the stocking list I am considering. I have not got any fish yet I had a problem with the tank I got (had chips in the center front of the glass :cry: ) so now I am waiting again on Oceanic to send the new tank. In the mean time I am trying to decide on a stocking list. I wanted a peaceful tank so I think all of these will work together, Please let me know what you think. Its going to be a 90 Gallon reef tank with DSB about 160 lbs of liverock and a 30 gallon sump. And dont worry I know its going to be awhile before I add ANY fish and Im not going to add all of them at once.

Red Coris Wrasse
Sixline Wrasse
Chevron Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Mandarin Dragonet
Green Chromis (4)
Percula Clown (2)
Royal Gramma
Flame Angel

Let me know what u think....

gwen_o_lyn
06-03-2006, 02:51 PM
:welcome: to TR!! Glad you are here- make yourself at home ;)

Red Coris Wrasse- Not exactly reef safe- they eat hermit crabs and shrimp- they also prefer a larger tank size so this fish is really going to weigh down on your bioload. I would skip it. I think fairy wrasses are very pretty- I have one and really enjoy it- just need a cover on your tank since they will carpet surf.

Sixline Wrasse- excellent choice- I've always read great things about this fish and that people really seem to enjoy them.

Tangs- I don't recommend 2 tangs for a 90g tank. I would narrow it down to one since 2 tangs may fight, and also they are big fish- more bioload and stuff like that. The Chevron and Blue are great choices- don't forget the purple tang also- another beauty.

Mandarin - very hard to feed. This is one of those fish I think we shouldn't take out of the ocean. I would wait til you've had your tank at least one year and find one that is eating frozen food, otherwise you have to rely on pod population and a heavily stocked 90 prolly isn't going to feed a mandarin for too long. If the mandarin is eating frozen- then go for it, but wait til your tank is established since they aren't aggressive eaters and extra pods will go a long way. Be cautious of mandarins in a tank with anemones.

Chromis- they are a good choice too. I see people buy a six pack and watch them school, but I've read that they don't school as much when they grow up. I don't know too much about them, but to me buying lots of chromis seems to really eat up your bioload. They are pretty fish though that seem to enjoy the water column.

Clowns- just about every reef tank seems to have a pair of clowns. I would get the clowns, and skip the anemone. Just watch your fingers, because once they are established and they think a spot is home - watch out!! Buy them as juveniles and watch them mate up- kinda cool.

Royal Gramma- another great fish- go for it.

Flame Angel- not exactly reef safe- they may nip on your corals. This is a beatiful fish, but you need to decide if you want to take the chance.

How about a blenny or goby? They seem to add a touch of personality to reef tanks.

I recommend from your list: one tang, wrasse *fairy wrasse maybe*, the clowns, royal gramma and the sixline wrasse. That would be a good start. Just purchase the least aggressive fish first, and add the tang and clowns last.

There is a tank journal thread here: http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27
We'd love to follow the progress of your tank- and pictures are always great!!

bmwaaron
06-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the reply....
I didnt know that about the Red Coris Wrasse I am glad you brought that to my attention. Are there any Angels that are reef safe and wont knip at coral? I do what to keep some SPS and dont want anything to eat it. I will look into the blenny or goby maybe let my wife pick one of those out (if I pick out all the fish Ill never hear the end of it).....
I will start the tank journal as soon as I get it going. It took over a month to get my tank from the LFS and then when I got it there was 4 small chips in the very front of the tank. Now Im afraid Im going to have to wait another month. I guess Oceanic is going through a restructure which means no customer service to us.
Would it be ok to start taking pictures of the setup?

gwen_o_lyn
06-03-2006, 03:12 PM
I think the sand sifter gobies are kinda cool- they can be hard to feed though. I think the yellow watchmen gobies are sand sifters and I really like them.

As far as I know- there is not a reef safe angel. I could be wrong though. You do see a lot of angels in reef tanks, but they are taking their chances.

Yes we'd love for you to start a journal now- pictures of anything will get us excited! Sorry about your tank. Hopefully you can get that all straightened out.

dreams
06-03-2006, 07:23 PM
welcome to TR, bmwaaron:-)

Rob
06-03-2006, 10:31 PM
i think Gwen covered very well.
i will add on the angels.
the flame angel and coral beauty are regularly put in reef tanks. as Gwen stated there is a chance they will nip at corals, but these are the only ones you should even attempt, if you were set on having one. but in short, there are no 100% reef safe angels that i know of

fat walrus
06-04-2006, 03:49 AM
hey, don't forget the atlantic pygmy (golden or yellow faced cherub) angel. also the golden dwarf angel from bali, it is rather difficult to keep, but come from a habitat deep enough where there are not many corals to feed off.