PDA

View Full Version : hW Marinemix?

dreams
06-02-2006, 09:50 PM
anyone ever use this salt?....went to a new LFS today & the guy was really trying to sell me on this stuff

Rob
06-03-2006, 12:05 AM
nope, never hard of it

fat walrus
06-03-2006, 01:04 AM
i used it before. it is from germany. i only used it a short time as a favor to help a friend out in helping clear out his inventory. i think it is over-rated for the price. i sure does smell good though...it is almost as if perfume was added to it. i do not think i would use it again as my main salt. i think the shipping and import cost of is the primary reason why it is expensive, giving it the perception of being high end.

gwen_o_lyn
06-03-2006, 02:28 AM
when my BIL bought his first bucket a salt a few months ago, he paid $90 for it- was supposed to be high end stuff.....

BIL- brother in law, not married, but it's my boyfriend's brother.... he just got into reef tanks- woo hoo!

fat walrus
06-03-2006, 02:37 AM
when my BIL bought his first bucket a salt a few months ago, he paid $90 for it- was supposed to be high end stuff.....

BIL- brother in law, not married, but it's my boyfriend's brother.... he just got into reef tanks- woo hoo!
cost does not make it superior. i bet HW and IO would probably be much closer in price in a third party country where both salts would incurr similar shipping and importation costs. besides, the price of european stuff is more significant now with the EURO-DOLLAR exchange.

gwen_o_lyn
06-03-2006, 02:42 AM
he uses IO now.. there is no way I'd buy salt that was more than $35-40/bucket unless it was a reef salt- then maybe up to $45.

If the GA Aquarium is using IO, then I know I can trust it. Plus I think 90% of reefers use IO or at least it seems that way. I also use Seachem- got a bunch for free.

fat walrus
06-03-2006, 02:55 AM
i use RC myself. it cost more than IO but is not ridiculous like imported salt. i also used some of supplements from HW, and found no miracle. some directions were goofy...like "repeat once a fortnight". i had to look up what a fortnight was.

gwen_o_lyn
06-03-2006, 02:58 AM
some directions were goofy...like "repeat once a fortnight". i had to look up what a fortnight was.

:rotfl:

CarmieJo
06-03-2006, 07:26 PM
The guy I bought my tank from gave me like 2oo gallons of Vibrant Reef salt. Anyone familiar with it?

dreams
06-03-2006, 07:53 PM
thanks for the input......i knew it was more expensinve, but didn't ask the price

my thoughts are that as long as i am doing reg water changes, there should be no need for expensibve salt or additives....(of course, i leave it open to change my mind at a later date...lol)

fat walrus
06-03-2006, 10:44 PM
The guy I bought my tank from gave me like 2oo gallons of Vibrant Reef salt. Anyone familiar with it?
never heard of it, i would not use it until you know more. maybe keep it as emergency salt. if it says made in china, be cautious, there is not much quality control with their salt.

CarmieJo
06-03-2006, 11:31 PM
OK. Thanks. I could not find it on the internet...