PDA

View Full Version : Current USA - What's the LD?

gwen_o_lyn
06-01-2006, 10:34 PM
I am starting a new thread with the Current USA discussion going on in another thread.... Here is what was taken from another thread:

if that satelite is made by current, stay away from it.

What's wrong with current USA? Both my fixtures are current usa and they work good. Well the first one was Custom Sea Life which are the same fixtures as Current.

I would be cautious of using aquatraders though. You get what u pay for.

when custom sealife was made in america, it was some of the best lights available. all the later custom sealife that was made in china has failed on me. in fact some of those later custom sealife started fires and caused lawsuits. the company bankrupted themselves and restarted with a new corporation. my lfs stopped selling current because of high rate of failure. that also goes for many other lfs here that i know of. some stores still carry them because the wholesale cost for them are incredibly cheap and the store can make a far greater margin than coralife. did you know that coralife is owned by a fortune 500 company that requires everything to be engineerered and than tested for ONE YEAR before releasing it for sale. that is one main reason why they cost more and are slower to the market with new products. the name current usa is borrowed from current china that is not the same company, but does provide the ballasts. was told by inside source that current usa buys the cheapest ballast made by current china. my local fish store sell plenty of replacement ballast for current, but never for coralife. and yes aquatrader is garbage...they even have issues with the firemarshall of houston.

interesting... that is one story I've never heard.

How did u hear about this?

i have become a good friend of the owner of my favorite lfs. he is extremely upstanding and refuse to sell any product regardless of profit margin if he does not believe in it. he also knows an good amount of people in the dry goods industry and since i hang-out a lot ,i hear a lot. there has been many other products that i read about in forum groups, but bite my tongue because i don't want to be a know-it-all....but TR is my home now so sometimes i want to speak out. i have surfed RC for years and not posted a single reply.

interesting... after many hours spent reading reef boards, I've never heard anything like this... not saying it's not true, but I would have to do further research.

Now Aquatraders is a completely different story! I can read all day long about complaints on that company. But at the same time, you also read about people that like them.

it is not me saying it, but rather me hearing insider talk and deciding whether to past it on or not. there are plenty of happy current users out there, and if they have good experiences with them, and the price is good for them, i wish them the best success. everyone needs to make their own judgement. i base mine on what i know, what i see, what i hear from manufactorers, what other hobbyist are saying, and finally what my trusted lfs tells me. if you doubt my sincerety in my comments, let me say that mike laskey-president of current usa taught me how to play craps, and i recently had sushi dinner with kevin richard-director of sales of ESU(coralife), Kent Marine, Oeanic, Allglass, and TFH PUBLISHING. coralife is BIG. their logo was recently add to the roster of sponsors of the Oakland A's.

I'm surprised this insider talk hasn't leaked out yet. There must be more info about this *somewhere* on the web.

gwen, i'm not the only one who know this. a lot of other people on the west coast knows this. the internet is very useful, but most lfs owners and manufacturers are not going to spend time talking about dark secrets online. the web is for commerce and hobby group like ours. sometimes the answer is in front of us, why did custom sealife-a well recognised brand suddenly go out of business to re-surface immediately under a different banner? my intention is not to thrash talk about anything but to point out what i think to be a safer option. a leading cause of house fires is due to electrical wiring or appliances...that is why i'm so vocal about this. there is a recent thread about current ballast failure started by victoria(?).

gwen_o_lyn
06-01-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm still researching, but I found this.. I guess their press release?

> CUSTOM SEA LIFE- GOING OUT OF BUSINESS
>
>
> Effective immediately, Custom Sea Life (CSL) is going out
> of
> business. They are closing their doors, not because of
> bankruptcy or
> business problems, but due to a personal decision made by
> the owner.
>
> Through an arrangement with CSL, Champion Lighting will
> honor all CSL
> warranties on items that were purchased by Champion's
> wholesale,
> service, public aquarium and retail customers. This
> warranty will
> apply to all CSL products purchased from Champion in the
> past and for
> all current inventory, including refurbished items.
> Warranties on CSL
> products purchased elsewhere cannot be honored by
> Champion.
>
> As always, Champion will continue to inventory
> replacement parts for
> virtually all CSL products. This includes CSL PC
> ballasts, metal
> halide ballasts, fans, sockets, UV's, chillers, and lamps
> for both
> the Power Compact and Metal Halide fixtures.
>
> We will continue to distribute and warrantee Velocity
> pumps.
>
> In the near future we will also be carrying replacement
> product lines
> for the PC Moon-Lite, Smart Lite, Power Compact line,
> Power Coolers,
> and UV sterilizers under the "Currents USA" brand name.
> We will
> continue to carry comparable metal halide hoods, retrofit
> kits,
> ballasts, etc.
>
> Be assured that your Custom Sea Life fixtures, hoods,
> ballasts,
> chillers, etc. are not orphans. Customers that have
> purchased or are
> planning to purchase CSL products will be accommodated by
> Champion
> Lighting in every way. Feel free to contact us with parts
> needs or
> any concerns with CSL products.
>
> Champion Lighting and Supply Co.
>

wwest
06-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Gwen, i dont know what to think about current being a fire hazard, well i didnt know what to think but i think current lights have just as much chance catching on fire as everything esle. i was googleing for about an hour today trying to find fire reports and public anouncments and i couldnt find anything on current,coralife or giesemann. Personaly i think if a baliste gets hot enuff will catch fire, but everything has that ability. thats just my two cents. does anyone have any links on fish tank light catching fire?

gwen_o_lyn
06-04-2006, 08:52 PM
I agree with you. They seem to be well made lights. I have Custom Sea Life on my tank downstairs and Current USA on my nano, and so far no problems, other than moonlights going out on the older fixture if u wanna call that a problem. I think I have 2 working moonlights left, so I just don't use them anymore since they are kinda overrated. Bulbs do burn out and need replacing and that's what's happened.

I've had the Custom Sea Life PC fixture for about 3 years and the Current USA MH fixture for about 4 months.

There simply isn't any data out there saying these are bad lights, so personally I think they are a good option and I would purchase them again.

wildeone
06-04-2006, 09:54 PM
I have a Current USA Orbit 4 x 96. I have had no issues and it seems to stay cool enough, it has 2 fans it in it and is not extremly hot to the touch. I really don't have much experience with tank lighting since I am fairly new to the hobby, but it seems OK to me...