PDA

View Full Version : For a reef tank what is the best filtration system? Berlin? wet/dry filter w refugium

seseloscabos
10-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Hello there!

I want to start a 100 Gal Reef tank and I would like to know what kind of filtration system is better for this. I have heard so many different kinds of ways to set it up. What kind is the one is doing better? I heard the berlin set up is good also, a wet/dry trickle filter w refugium, etc... :huh:

CarmieJo
10-17-2010, 02:05 PM
!Bienvidos a TR, Sergio!

A wet/dry filter is not appropriate for a reef tank because they tend to produce high nitrate. A true Berlin system uses a bare bottom (BB) tank. I am personally a fan of a DSB (deep sand bed) but people have a successful tank with DSB, SSB (shallow sand bed) and BB. A skimmer is definitely necessary and so is 1-1.5 lbs of live rock (.45 - .75 kg) per gallon (~4L). A refugium is a great addition to a reef tank. You can also use a SSB in the tank and add a DSB to the refugium to get the benefits without so much sand in the display. This also allows you to take the DSB off line if you need to.