PDA

View Full Version : closed loop questions

fatboyjoe
05-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Does anybody use a foam pre-filter on the inlet of their closed loop? and do you think it effects your gph.?

pham411
05-29-2006, 05:43 PM
i dont but if you use 1 it will effect it a little.

fat walrus
05-29-2006, 06:17 PM
i do. with BIG sponges split off with tees. clean the sponges regularly and its hardly makes a difference. i got tired of chewing up pumps.

V
05-30-2006, 05:01 AM
how long is a piece of string, lol, there are so many ways to set up a closed loop system, to be more specific if ur intake idraws from the sump then filter blocks are prob the norm, but dirrect feed from the tank can prove a hassle to house filter material, unless of course u draw from the false wall. but if any materal is going to restrict flow, type of meterial dictated how restrictive

RazerCorals
05-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Personally I would draw your closed loop from your overflow box that way you already strain out most of the heavy stuff that could damage pumps. On my tank it is setup to be fed through the wall, but it is a coral tank only. So no fish to sent through it. The snails will be a bit of a concern and I might consider a 1.5" strainer that www.MarineDepot.com (http://www.MarineDepot.com) sells. I use Sequence Darts.

Here's a pic:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/fastfish720/corals017.jpg
Kinda hard to see, but on the far side. There is a hole in the left corner at the perfect height for the pump and then it will return through the other 4 holes at the top of tank.

V
05-30-2006, 11:57 PM
u build that yourself?
u;d be getting some nice water movement in that baby

Reefbaby
06-05-2006, 05:29 PM
yeah...that looks great!!

V
06-06-2006, 05:01 AM
one of my LFS guys is doing a coral setup for his shop now too, its not very high, but its wide like jakes!
if jake could post his new creation that would be great to see the build proccess, if not i better get in quick with some happy snaps of this one so i can capture the whole process

Rob
06-06-2006, 10:20 AM
i believe Jake had the tank built for him.
but im sure hes got more recent photos of the setup.. :)