PDA

View Full Version : "just do it" alternative lighting to MH

V
05-25-2006, 02:00 AM
ok, lets see whats in the box of goodies, and pull out the T5's VHO/HO Power compact ect. ect. info and recommendations.
manufacturers/ specifications/ outputs / bulb choices /retro kits/ pictures/ links /setups/ customisations. anything you use or would like to use in combination with or totally without MH lighting.

:cool: Is this start of a thread to your liking Blubber?

i thought a combo package could be inserted in "this space"
http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/downloads/product-information/sfiligoi-lighting/sfiligoi-lighting.pdf

ghostbear29
05-25-2006, 02:03 AM
ok lets start with the basic. 96w quad bulb 10,000k and 03actinic pc from coralife. great all around starter light good coloring and good company. any takers. oh yeah, and it fit my bowfront like a glove!

ghostbear29
05-25-2006, 02:07 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/ghostbear29/DSCN1759.jpg

Reefbaby
05-25-2006, 05:29 PM
This is a link to Iwan's reef thread on RC (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=700454&perpage=25&pagenumber=1). He has a pure T5 system and outrageous colors.

He's also got his own website (http://www.hausriff.ch/), if you can read German.

ghostbear29
05-25-2006, 09:55 PM
thats a sweet looking tank. just amazing. still sucks to be running all the g-dam bulbs! 10 total! 686watts! thats a lot of power to be pushing! also, how expensive would that be?

fat walrus
05-25-2006, 11:02 PM
thats a sweet looking tank. just amazing. still sucks to be running all the g-dam bulbs! 10 total! 686watts! thats a lot of power to be pushing! also, how expensive would that be?
you should see some of the tanks from the eighties when pc first came started to become popular. 9 watt pc was the only ones available, so imagine the wiring and placement nightmares involved. remember, T5s have been around...it just that the reflector technology has given it a new burst of life. i for one believe in using as few components as possible. the more parts in the whole, the more chances of failure. show all those wires to a fire-marshall and he'll freak!

Reefbaby
05-26-2006, 06:45 AM

well...considering that I've got 3x400W and that's not even including the T5s, I guess I would say that his wattage isn't any higher than people who would use MHs for his size tank.

(although, his tank is only 60cm high, so he could probably get away with 250W halides, rather than 400W....)

replacing the t5 bulbs is also significantly cheaper than MHs.....

ghostbear29
06-02-2006, 12:18 AM
so dont you replace the bulbs like every 3 years or so too? I still havent met any people who run t-5 out of my area. its all mh or vho if your serious...ya know! he he.

V
06-02-2006, 06:01 AM
Im all for seeing what u guys run over your systems, And thats definately what i want to see in this thread but lets throw down the basics first so noobs can get a handle on the concepts.

> What are T5 lights?
T5 is simply a collective term for a narrow-diameter fluorescent light tube. Standard 1" fluorescent tubes are called T8s, and are used everwhere as normal fluro's, T12 are mainly used for industrial applications.
T5s are 5/8th of an inch in diameter & run from a special ballast, similar (but different) to the type used for standard fluorescent bulbs.

> Why are they better than normal fluorescent tubes?
The makers claim that certain T5s are roughly three to four times more effective than a standard fluorescent bulb of similar wattage. Therefore, they're being marketed as a replacement for the large banks of standard fluorescents that people used to use over their reef tanks. By using T5s you'll be able to use fewer tubes than before, and squeeze much more light power under your hood.

> Whats this NO , HO, & VHO?
Well NO = Normal output
HO = High output
VHO =Very high output
which in turn need specific power rated ballist to power them.

> Does the light they produce look different?
Yes, T5s produce a "flatter" light, like that produced by a standard fluorescent, rather than an intense directed spot of light like a metal halide. The light levels throughout the tank are more uniform, but you don't get the natural-looking rippling light effect on your substrate you get from a metal halide. Some reefkeepers reckon they lack the "punch" of metal halides for penetrating deep water, so many use a combination of the two types together. Compared to a standard fluorescent, they're considerably brighter to look at.

> Are they any good for corals?
They appear to work well and are fast becoming very popular with modern reefers. Experts reckon the light produced may not quite match that of metal halides but can still be sufficient to get decent coral growth, even in the more demanding SPS corals. However, in very deep tanks you might need to confine the light-loving corals towards the upper layers of the tank to ensure they get plenty of light.

> Do they have any advantages over metal halides?
Fluorescents like T5s get very warm but the makers claim that they "don't give off radiant heat", so they're less likely to overheat the aquarium than halides. However, they still get almost hot enough to fry an egg on, so they must have more effect upon water temperature than the producers claim. Some can be installed within the hood, so they're handy if space is limited, or if you're unable (or unwilling) to suspend a luminaire from your ceiling.

T5 bulbs should last for up to 15000 hours with only a 20% drop off in output. This works out at about 1250 days (more than three years) based on a 12-hour photoperiod. This is far longer than either metal halide or standard fluorescent lamps.The thing to keep in mind is virtually every bulb eventually deteriorates and the same applys to T5s.

> How many do I need?
The number and combination of bulbs you add largely depends on what you are keeping. You'll probably be looking at four to six for a 300lt tank, but you might get away with less if you're keeping inverts that are tolerant of lower light levels, such as zoanthids, Pachyclavularia, Leather corals and corallimorphs (mushroom anemones). Im not sure on the currect thinking but a guide is to use three 54w T5s as a replacement or compare to each 150-175w metal halide.

> Do they actually work out cheaper than metal halides?
The cost of the units are slightly cheaper, the main saving is in the costs of replacement bulbs & overal running costs.
T5s kick out more watt-for-watt than standard so they should save alot in the long run!

>Do they all perform the same?
There are differences in the types of ballast used, which may have some bearing on performance, as well as minor differences in the build quality of the actual light unit itself. However, the most critical differences are in the quality and design of the bulb and reflector used.
The phosphor mix in the tube is what makes up the spectra & is designed specifically for use on aquaria. It's a good idea to use a mixture of bulbs to get the spectrum and light quality you're after for the keeping of your specific animals.

this web site has a few case studies, on the difference between T8 & T5 bulbs among other things.which is where most people step up from!
http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/sitemap.asp

we will plug away at compiling some info here so the understanding of the different systems is known, as always guys, jump in the deep end with me, so i can learn too!

Rob
06-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Veriann, that was a great post, thanks.

i have taken that info and put it into a FAQ, you can see it here (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/faq.php?faq=lighting_faq)
to a new thread in the site suggestions forum

CarmieJo
06-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Veriann,

Wonderful information. Thanks.

Reefbaby
06-03-2006, 07:24 PM
so dont you replace the bulbs like every 3 years or so too? I still havent met any people who run t-5 out of my area. its all mh or vho if your serious...ya know! he he.

I have been running mine for 2 years now. I have two 54W T5s. I had to replace one last year, because my husband broke it when he was cleaning the ballast, but otherwise they're doing fine...

Reefbaby
06-03-2006, 07:26 PM
> Does the light they produce look different?
Yes, T5s produce a "flatter" light, like that produced by a standard fluorescent, rather than an intense directed spot of light like a metal halide. The light levels throughout the tank are more uniform, but you don't get the natural-looking rippling light effect on your substrate you get from a metal halide. Some reefkeepers reckon they lack the "punch" of metal halides for penetrating deep water, so many use a combination of the two types together. Compared to a standard fluorescent, they're considerably brighter to look at.

Bush Boy - thanks so much for posting this thread! That was very informative and I think will be a great help to people.

I have to agree with this statement of that it's a flatter light. That's why I mix it still with the MHs.

Reefbaby
06-03-2006, 07:27 PM
> Do they have any advantages over metal halides?
Fluorescents like T5s get very warm but the makers claim that they "don't give off radiant heat", so they're less likely to overheat the aquarium than halides. However, they still get almost hot enough to fry an egg on, so they must have more effect upon water temperature than the producers claim. Some can be installed within the hood, so they're handy if space is limited, or if you're unable (or unwilling) to suspend a luminaire from your ceiling.

I really don't think that they produce nearly as much heat. I can hold my hand under them and don't really notice much; however, under the MHs I notice within seconds the heat..

V
06-03-2006, 10:54 PM
after 15 hours if running they still get pretty hot RB, nothing compares with the radiance that is produced via MH, but without an extraction fan or open design in T5 they can still cook the surrounding air , just my opinion anyways

fat walrus
06-04-2006, 01:22 AM
blubber just got two burn marks on his left elbow today from 2 T5 bulbs today when he wasn't careful. believe me, they are hot.

V
06-04-2006, 05:36 AM
** runs to the aid with a fire extinguisher & band-aid**

sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

"its ok people nothing to see here, show's over, be on your way!"
u ok blubber, lucky we put u out before u turned to crackle

Reefbaby
06-04-2006, 06:08 PM
watch out...burning blubber stinks!!! http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/images/smilies/crazy.gif

fat walrus
06-04-2006, 08:19 PM
thanks bushboy, i'm all better now.

gwen_o_lyn
06-04-2006, 09:01 PM
watch out...burning blubber stinks!!! :crazy:

:rotfl:

V
06-24-2006, 08:33 PM
i found a wicked new T5 product last night, only thiing is i can find it now! it had a sliding bulb section(rail section) so u could possition the smaller length bulbs at will. i wanted to see how the internals worked & being tired last night i must have dumped it

fat walrus
06-24-2006, 08:43 PM
like 2 endcaps connected by a telescopic rail?

V
06-24-2006, 08:47 PM
yep, exactly. im sure it was a uk based company.
its annoyed me ive lost it

fat walrus
06-24-2006, 08:51 PM
interpet UK?

V
06-24-2006, 09:34 PM
could be, u have a look already?

the name doesn't sound familur, but then again i wasn't paying attention to that!

fat walrus
06-24-2006, 09:40 PM
no, but i have seen the actual product at lfs.

V
06-24-2006, 09:44 PM
oh great, which means two things, its not so new, or it originated from the USA
u see a working model, how does it perform, whats the wiring like on top of the rail system!?

fat walrus
06-24-2006, 10:00 PM
coiled wiring, like a telephone handset.

V
06-24-2006, 10:07 PM
yeah, very logical. i was thinking along the lines of floating connectors, but thats more plausable

fat walrus
06-24-2006, 10:10 PM
floating connectors over saltwater? lawsuit heaven.

V
06-24-2006, 10:12 PM
within the enclosed unit u nob..u crack me up