PDA

View Full Version : Sand bed depth???

jwerye
05-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Can you put to much sand in a deep sand bed? I understand the benefits of a deep sand bed but can you over do it? What will happen…Pos and Cons?

Thank

Jeff

CarmieJo
05-24-2006, 12:35 AM
Hi Jeff,

Hmmm. Good question. I don't know the answer but someone here will. Anyhow, welcome to TR.

ZeroKoolNYC
05-24-2006, 05:48 AM
Jwerye, I don't you can actually put to much sand but in thinking about it for a bit I can really only think of the major pro of having a huge area for biological filtration to occur. Some cons that I believe that you will have are an extended maturing process since their will be a larger then average amount of sand within the aquarium. Another con that I can think of would be that if you have sand stirris that move around alot they could potentially wreck your aquascaping causing your rockwork to come out of place. That and you'll also lose space in what aquarium inhabitants you are able to keep. But I don't believe that could cause any huge issues. Please chime in people if you have other negating thoughts. :-)

V
05-24-2006, 06:34 AM
valid question, personally i would say total displacement is a reason not to go past 4-6 inch.
the more of a bed u have,the more displacement.having as much water in your system outweighs the need for a super fat sand bed, the common concensus SSB, or DSB is standard for a reason,, peoples trial & errors!

AdamJ
05-24-2006, 11:43 AM
for the effct in your tank you can not put too much,

but as said before you will make the rest of the tank smaller for the fish and LR

unless you specifically want to cater your tank to a spp that needs a deep deep sand bed, there is no reason to go above 6"

dreams
05-24-2006, 11:53 AM
mine is 7" (started out as 9").....i have a deep tank and want o keep jawfish

V
05-24-2006, 12:03 PM
as u start out it will be higher, but it does settle! DSD is a personal choice, personally speaking i still have an active coral fine rubble bed, which works brilliantly for me. but the choice is with the anaimals u plan to keep which dictates success

V
05-24-2006, 12:06 PM
adding to the last statement, u can use your sump to the fullest. im not a fan of cramming everything in th display, when the same job can be acchieved in the sump

dreams
05-24-2006, 07:58 PM
im not a fan of cramming everything in th display, when the same job can be acchieved in the sump

me too....i like as much room as possible for the fish to swim and feel like they have thier own personal space...there is actually as much room open at the back of my tank as in the front....maybe more

Reefbaby
05-27-2006, 05:04 PM
I've read Ron Shimek recommend not to go deeper than 8"..... I think there's a danger then of causing too much of an anaerobic layer....

V
05-29-2006, 01:32 AM
I've read Ron Shimek recommend not to go deeper than 8"..... I think there's a danger then of causing too much of an anaerobic layer....

i guess this gets back to the original question RB, is there such a thing as tooo much of an anerobic activity. i know when i do exersice i get puffed!

CarmieJo
05-29-2006, 11:15 AM
i know when i do exersice i get puffed!

V you are so silly!:rolleyes: