PDA

View Full Version : growing alage in my sump

Reefer0513
02-18-2010, 10:50 PM
I am trying to grow algae in my sump for an algae filter. I have the right lighting in place, but what I was wondering if feeding freeze dried plytoplanton would help the algae grow quicker.

CarmieJo
02-18-2010, 11:02 PM
I am presuming you are wanting to grow the algae to reduce nutrients in your tank and reduce nuisance algae in the display. The freeze dried phyto would likely add more nutrients to the tank but I would think that they would be used equally by the algae in the sump and display.

Phurst
02-19-2010, 09:13 AM
I agree with Carmie. Al that's going to do is foul your water. Macro will grow as long as there is ligh and nutrients in your water. some people dose small amounts of iron to help as well, but it's very easy to go overboard there, an if there's unwanted algae in your display, it will fuel that as well. Are you growing algae in your sump to combat algae in your tank, or just as a preventative measure?

Reefer0513
02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Actually I am trying to grow alage for my sump to combat nitrates in my system. I do not have any alage in my main tank thanks to my tang, foxface, hermit crabs and turbo snails. Since I have had my main tank up and running I have only had one alage problem and that was a bout with red slime, which went away after I got my phosphate in check.

CarmieJo
02-19-2010, 07:43 PM
If you are trying to get rid of nitrates adding freeze dried phyto to the tank would only increase them.

This is not pertinent to your question but I wanted to say something about the freeze dried phyto. My understanding of any dead phyto is that it is not used by clams or larvae. Since they can't use it I don't know if pods can use it or not.

Reefer0513
02-19-2010, 07:45 PM
I guess I will just be content with just feeding it to my corals instead

Skurvey Dog
02-19-2010, 07:56 PM
I agree with the above advice. Also the macro will grow according to the available nutrients. Just be sure to harvest it so it doesn't die off and release those stored nutrients back into the system.

CarmieJo
02-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Primary consumers of phyto are zooplankton, clams and invertebrate larvae. Most corals don't eat phyto. The nonphotosynthetic gorgonians and Dendronepthea are 2 corals that are commonly said to ingest phyto. Dendronepthea has a horrible survival rate in aquaria.

Reefer0513
02-21-2010, 11:44 PM
So feeding phyto in my main display will only be eaten by the fish and other inverts that I have in my tank? So, it is probably not a good idea to feed in my main display tank, unless I want my nitrates to rise.

Phurst
02-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Unless you have something you know requires it, I'd skip the phyto altogether. Your fish won't eat it either.