PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new site

Rob
01-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for bearing with us through the long outage while we were working on getting the site back up and running properly for everyone. As you can see things look quite different. Im going to try and run through what were doing here and our goals.

Talkingreef Articles
A few years back we started a project called Reefreaders.com the idea there was to create a site full of great information in a format that was more formal than forum posts. We collected articles and content for a few months before that project was pushed aside for various reasons. A short time later the Talkingreef time, committed to this same goal, started collecting more article style documents and they were stored in the forums. The system for doing this was less than optimal, but it worked. As you have seen this site now contains a full content system where we are currently moving our exiting articles to and will be posting some new ones shortly. The nice part of this new system is that it will allow ANYONE that wants to take the time to write a nice forum post or article. If the moderators approve the article and it goes through an internal review process, it to can be posted. The moderators will also have the ability to take well written forum posts and make articles out of them as well. The idea here is that while forums are great for getting questions answered at the time, they have always struggled to provide thorough details because information is sometimes hard to find, and when you find it, its often riddled with off topic posts and other distractions. the Talkingreef team can now take valuable content and put it together in a searchable and more organized fashion. I will be providing more details on the writing and publishing process in the near future once things with the site settle down and the team is ready.

Blogs and Journals
In addition we are opening up a function to all registered members that will allow them to create and maintain a full featured blog. We will be using these for all future tank journals. This will allow an easier way for people to track and share the progress. the comment system and even associate forum threads can help people collaborate or ask questions. In addition it will allow us to organize your blog posts based on categories. For example. lets say you are running a tank journal for your fish only tank, that can be put into that section for people with FO tanks to go right to and look for ideas without having to sort through 300 tank journal threads. In addition, lets say you want to start a DIY project where you are setting up a homemade skimmer, ATO, or refugium. We can categories these also. YOu can share your blog publicly (outside talkingreef members) and people (both public and TR members) can subscribe and follow the projects/blogs that they want or have interest in.

As you can see the main goal here is finding the best way to collect and share information while allowing interaction and collaboration. We have a lot of options and would be willing to take suggestions from the community on ways you want to see us use these new features. the integration of blogs, articles and forums should allow us to do great things. We also have set the site to be fully accessible from mobile devices. From devices like iPhones, Blackberry's and other smart phones you can browse the forums reply to posts and create new ones. I am also working with a developer on an application native blackberry application that will let you interact with the forums directly from your devices without using a browser.

Going forward
As with all new things there will be problems and things that don't work right. The Talkingreef staff has worked hard to find these and correct them before we did this upgrade, but things will get missed. If you encounter any issues please post them here <insert link>. I also want to say upfront, there are some functions that are no longer present on the site, trust me i am aware there are missing and i know which ones i want to bring back. This is out of my control, and i will be bringing them back as soon as they are available to me. You can post about them if you wish, but as stated i probably already have them noted and will be bringing them back when i can.

V
01-21-2010, 09:13 PM
virginal poster . i feel so dirty.

CarmieJo
01-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Yippee! Rob and Bobby have been working OT to get this up. Thanks guys!

lReef lKeeper
01-21-2010, 09:20 PM
you got that right !! i have a headache now, but not as bad as the first version of the new site was giving me. check out all the new buttons, and if you have any questions shoot me a message.

V
01-21-2010, 09:23 PM
The idea here is that while forums are great for getting questions answered at the time, they have always struggled to provide thorough details because information is sometimes hard to find, and when you find it, its often riddled with off topic posts and other distractions. the Talkingreef team can now take valuable content and put it together in a searchable and more organized fashion.

That way, you can find all my good posts, in a sea of V-BS :D

oh , virginal smiley too..... someone lock me up!

Thanks guys, i enjoy the new diggs

Amphibious
01-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Wow wow wow woeeeeeeee!!!! I love the new digs.

Thanks for all the work Rob and anyone else involved.

Dick (Still the old man of the site)

rayme07
01-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Awesome looking sight. Its hard to get used to but I defiantly will. :D Thanks Rob and Bobby for working hard it looks great. :thumbs:

V
01-21-2010, 10:49 PM
think of it like a filing cabnet little dude.

rayme07
01-21-2010, 10:52 PM
think of it like a filing cabnet little dude.

huh you lost me there. lol

V
01-21-2010, 10:57 PM
the format structure, its like a filing cabnet

rayme07
01-21-2010, 11:02 PM
the format structure, its like a filing cabnet

Im still lost. LOL (just kidding) I got it now. :D I am such a dork.

SaltyDawg
01-21-2010, 11:10 PM
We survived reef2K :w00t!:

rayme07
01-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Blogs and Journals
In addition we are opening up a function to all registered members that will allow them to create and maintain a full featured blog. We will be using these for all future tank journals. This will allow an easier way for people to track and share the progress. the comment system and even associate forum threads can help people collaborate or ask questions. In addition it will allow us to organize your blog posts based on categories. For example. lets say you are running a tank journal for your fish only tank, that can be put into that section for people with FO tanks to go right to and look for ideas without having to sort through 300 tank journal threads. In addition, lets say you want to start a DIY project where you are setting up a homemade skimmer, ATO, or refugium. We can categories these also. YOu can share your blog publicly (outside talkingreef members) and people (both public and TR members) can subscribe and follow the projects/blogs that they want or have interest in.

So if you want to post a tank journal post it in both the tank journal forum and your blog or just the blog? :)

CarmieJo
01-21-2010, 11:20 PM
We survived reef2K :w00t!: LOL, you guys crack me up!

Rostr02
01-22-2010, 12:33 AM
New site looks great!!

lReef lKeeper
01-22-2010, 08:49 AM
So if you want to post a tank journal post it in both the tank journal forum and your blog or just the blog? :)

we turned off the new tank journal threads, but you can still make updates to an existing one. the blogs are so much nicer for this purpose. check mine out.

V
01-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I couldn't on my old pico thread, based on the icon id say its locked.

Not to worry, i love spreading the love everywhere, Blogs, hmm, sounds like a bullsh^t Log to me..lol - All this time ive been resisting the spacebook generation documented account of blogness , & now my TR place centre is using them, ahh, such is life.

Ok, so just so we're clear, I forget the past (cause cant post there anyways), start a new entry in the blog section, & can still bring elements from the members forum into it using the "add to blog- thing" at the bottom of the posts.

Hell, the old boy Ampage can master this, so im in with a shot..lol Your not a very good bench mark for old people ampage, you know that dont you??

Rob
01-22-2010, 02:00 PM
yea, i locked out the old Tank journal thread.. i thought there was a way to just stop new threads but not new posts.. i will be looking into this more soon as i dont really want to stop ALL new posts... just new threads..
anyways. the point is we want to put new tank journals into the blogs and also if anyone wants additional categories for anything else they want to blog about just let one of us know

V
01-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks for everything Robbo-cop, cause so far im liking it bud, its advancements out weigh any unfamiliarity. Plus im used to change management anyways, as i was the one usually feeling the resistance from the many.

rayme07
01-22-2010, 07:37 PM
we turned off the new tank journal threads, but you can still make updates to an existing one. the blogs are so much nicer for this purpose. check mine out.

yea, i locked out the old Tank journal thread.. i thought there was a way to just stop new threads but not new posts.. i will be looking into this more soon as i dont really want to stop ALL new posts... just new threads..
anyways. the point is we want to put new tank journals into the blogs and also if anyone wants additional categories for anything else they want to blog about just let one of us know

Ok Thanks I actually figured it out last night. :D I posted in the blog on my old tank and my new tank. Pretty cool. :up:

Amphibious
01-23-2010, 07:01 AM
The old site listed, “who’s on line”? Is there no way to see who’s on line?

SaltyDawg
01-23-2010, 07:27 AM
You have to look in the quick links tab at the top

Amphibious
01-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks Salty. I liked it better when I could just glance to the left column and see who’s around. Less convenient this way. I did find a lot of “spiders” creeping around the site. I suppose they are a “bug” we have to put up with.

CarmieJo
01-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah, but they are the good kind of bugs. :D

Rob
01-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks Salty. I liked it better when I could just glance to the left column and see who’s around. Less convenient this way. I did find a lot of “spiders” creeping around the site. I suppose they are a “bug” we have to put up with.

same here Dick, im working to get that sidebar on the left back.. for now the easiest wan is at the bottom of the forum home page here
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/forum.php

TRUST me i know its not the same, but it does get you the info you want

rayme07
01-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Awesome, Thanks Rob. :up:

V
01-26-2010, 03:10 AM
yeah, now i cant see whom id like to play tricks on without incident..... i used to stand in the corner & wait for bobby to pass me in the halls, but now im blind..lol

lReef lKeeper
01-26-2010, 01:27 PM
*** walks by blind V, and pours nasty thick brown skimmate over his head !! ***

rayme07
01-26-2010, 10:06 PM

LOL I can see that happening.:rotfl:

V
01-27-2010, 12:39 AM

:whut: I thought that was guiness!!!!

305marcos
03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
How do I create a new thread???? PLEASE HELP :)

CarmieJo
03-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Click on "Forum" just under the TR banner
Click on the forum you want to start a thread in
Click on "+Post New Thread" button just above the list of current threads

V
03-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I dont know if im the only on that notices cause im on a different time zone, however TR still goes downs periodical. Any news around the camp fire ive missed out on cause ive been on fragmented visits of late?

Amphibious
03-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Rob must be experiencing some on going difficulties. We’re having the off times, too.

Hang in there lil buddy.

V
03-13-2010, 01:22 PM
good to see ya anyways ol chum. been keeping well?

rayme07
03-14-2010, 02:19 AM
hmmm that is weird, I haven't had it happen in a long time. :unsure: It must be some glitches or something.

SaltyDawg
03-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Every couple days I get the "Internet explorer cannot display web page". Usually only last a couple hours though.

CarmieJo
03-14-2010, 10:05 AM
I am having the same problem and use FF.

Skurvey Dog
03-15-2010, 07:35 PM
I've also had the IE "Can't display web page." I haven't tried to come on every day though. Between work and baby Sean I haven't had much chance to keep trying to get back on several hours later. I got right on today. Yippeee!