PDA

View Full Version : Pro Heat Titanium Heater

dwillingm
05-21-2006, 08:46 PM
I just got my titanium heater. I am very impressed with it.

Not only is it pretty much indestructable, but it has some other cool features too. The thermostat is on a seperate wire, not connected to the heater. This allowed me to put the thermostat in the aquarium, and the heater in the sump. Now the heater comes on and off based on the aquarium temperature, not the sump temperature. Also, the control dial is located on the plug, so you dont have to get wet to adjust the temperature, and the dial wont get stuck from calcium deposits building up on it. I highly recommend this heater. The last good thing about the heater is it only costs about $5 more then the glass heaters.

Rob
05-21-2006, 09:08 PM
they are cool..

just remember with remote temp probes, if they pop off, they can cause your tank to over heat. so make sure its securely mounted, dont trust the little suction cup (that many come with)

dwillingm
05-21-2006, 09:45 PM
yeah, i thought about that. it kind of scared me thinking what would happen if the probe came out of the tank. I used duct tape to tape the probe wire along the outside back wall of the tank (tank back is opaque blue acrylic), and the probe is pretty deep in the tank stuck on with its suction cup. there is no way that probe can come out, even if the suction cup pops off.

CarmieJo
05-21-2006, 10:57 PM
The tape is a good idea. I just ran the temp in my tank up because the temp controller probe got pulled out of my sump. Luckily everyone was OK and I can just chalk it up to lessons learned.

Victoria
05-26-2006, 07:04 PM
I use this heater too and love it! I zip tie the probe inside the tank, so there no way it can come out. It's the best heater I've every used.
Victoria

gwen_o_lyn
05-30-2006, 07:49 PM
I had WON titanium cook my tank... it just went bad. I'm sticking with Ebo Jag for now.

Rob
05-31-2006, 01:43 AM
i agree, Ebo Jagers are my favorite, but the Viso-Therm stealth (all plastic) are now my second favorite

dwillingm
06-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Gwen, you got me a little scared about my heater. I looked into it some more and found that others hae had issues with these heaters. The bottom line I found was any heater can fail, and it is probably a good idea to have the heater running on a temperature controller to turn it off if the heater thermostat fails. The most affordable controller I could find was the Aqua Medic Biotherm Temperature Controller. If you google it, you can find it selling for $43. I think I am going to order one this week. Has anyone had hands on experience with ths unit?

gwen_o_lyn
06-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Yes a controller is the safe way to go. I have lots of faith in ebo jags so I am taking my chances.

Rob
06-02-2006, 11:24 AM
i have had failure experience with a different brand titanium heater, not this one..

V
06-02-2006, 12:12 PM
they are cool..

just remember with remote temp probes, if they pop off, they can cause your tank to over heat. so make sure its securely mounted, dont trust the little suction cup (that many come with)

ive had a major loss with this exact instance, probe pop off, & it stunk too!...lol
on a serious note,i dont like the look of a tank magnet in the display, so it has its uses here!