PDA

View Full Version : 180 gal start-up

cr8signs
01-18-2010, 10:47 PM
What would be a good pump to use with a 180 gallon system? Plan on having a 40-55 gal sump under display, Would like to use a external pump, to keep heat issues down. Main tank will only be up 4 -5' above sump. Their are 2 overflows, one in each corner. Plan on having fish and corals.

Amphibious
01-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Hey Renee,

Long time no see.

We like to turn the water up to 20 times per hour. However all that water movement does not have to go through the sump nor come from one pump. You can supplement the flow with internal submerged pumps such as the Koralias. If you are looking at that much total flow, about 4,000 gph, you could get a pump in the 1500 to 1800 gph for the main pump and add two Koralia #4 at 1200 gph for a total around 4000 gph.

For brand of pump, I’ve always liked Iwaki (Japanese) or it’s American counter part with an American motor. Both are very reliable, the American made a bit cheaper. The Gen-X pumps are good, too. Then the Little Giant “Q” series I’ve used for years with good results.

That should give you some things to think about.

Dick

cr8signs
01-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi Dick,
Hope all is well with you! I have a pump now on my 90 gal that is rated at 1580gph, it would be nice to use that and put the money for a new pump into nice pumps for inside the tank to really give it some movement. But I would like to move things from the 90 to the 180, SLOWlY, not in one day!!!!!!!!
You know the old rule, "Only bad things happen fast in a reef tank!":cry:
Hey, did you ever finish your aqua building? Is there a thread about it in this forum?
Renee

Amphibious
01-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Moving them over slowly is a good idea. Having only one pump is a problem. Are you connected with MARS, the Madison club? I’d ask someone to loan you a pump for awhile. If you are not connected, you should join (free, no dues), I could try to find someone.

Here is a link to my building thread - Aquaculture Building thread (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/general-marine-discussions/5508-our-aquaculture-building-finally-arrived.html). This is the whole story, somewhat long, but you can go to the last page for the latest entry. Should have water flowing in about a month.

You guys planning a trip South this winter?

Dick

cr8signs
01-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Yes I am connected to MARS. I found your building thread too. Left you a comment. STill trying to talk Mark into going this FEB. the prices are about 1/3 of what we have paid in the past for cruises. But he keeps saying next year!! I said "How come you get to make all the decisions?", Guess he really does where the pants :D